motor servicing cant justifie the dollars they charge ???

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: motor servicing cant justifie the dollars they charge ??

Post by barra mick »

thanks old fart,u were spot on.just got a housing from the wreackers and replaced it

u were right..it was binded/siezed but salt water/dirt/grime

took me all day and a bottle of bourbon buy i got there

you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Yeah I do amy own servicing on the Honda 75 now as well. The only thing I have not changed out is the impeller..that got done last year and the tell tale is nice and strong so should be good for another year.
Costs me around $170 - 200 max and that's including the spark plugs which are a bl..dy rip off at $33 each :shock: :x :x .
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Mudic
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mudic »

Type in "Outboard servicing" into youtube, there are some good posts showing what you need to do. You can learn almost anything from youtube.......
Mudic
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

2rods wrote:Not quite right mr scooper... It falls under the same legislation as car warranty. That is it must be done by a competent person/company. The manufacturer is the only one able to carry out warranty repairs (unless by prior agreement from the manufacturer) but service work can be carried out by others.

cuddlescooper wrote:
barra mick wrote:every is easy once u have been shown

i had to fix the hi/llow of my 100 series turbo d landcrusier a few montha ago and i had no idea,toyoat was going to charge 800 bucks

i just asked on this site and got enough imfo to figure it out ...even had one bloke give me his number and he was a great help

took me all day but next time i do it it will take 2 hrs max

my advice....give it a go next time

This is all fine when it comes to older cars or out board motors. the problem is with new ones that you void the warrenty as soon as youu touch the new ones. They have you by the balls unless you you dont mind losing the warrenty. :|
Rods mate your words are true and is what I was refering to. You dont have to take it to the dealer but if you are an average jo blow with out a mechanical trade or buisiness you will do your warrenty. I serviced my outboard from new and took that risk. It saves us a ship load every time and so far has paid off. I dont have a mechanical trade so if something goes wrong it would be on my head and I would lose the warrenty. Most outboard mechanics will charge $500 for a service so the only way to save money is to do it yourself. Unless you know someone to do it cheap. :mrgreen:
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

being a outboard mechanic i had to put up with people complaining about this all the time!! My answer was always " what do you do if you car breaks down? you get out and walk or get a tow home"? When your boat breaks down 40nm out to sea you cant just get out and walk or get a tow can you?

yeah i understand they charge too much compaired to what it costs but to do it properly takes skill to finely tune a motor!

and might i ad the worst is always the people who bring in a 20 yr old bucket that has never been flushed and they expect you to work wonders for $100.
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

One vote for two rods, he even picked up the boat for me, done 100hrs since the service and everythings is sweet!
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

2rods is 100% on the money. :bow: :bow: :bow: Providing you use the right filters and oils all is good. :fubird: :fubird:

Simple maths you do 10 services yourself in 1,000 hrs saves you about $5,000 minimum. Thats a fair amount of warranty work if something does stuff up after that. Water pumps are not difficult and that is the biggest major thing you should need to do in the first 1,000hrs. :applause: :applause:

I do mine every 50hrs cost of oils and filter under $100 :lolpoint:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

How often do you/should you replace the high pressure fuel filter??
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

mippa wrote: but to do it properly takes skill to finely tune a motor!

Ive no idea but i thought that motors now have computers and you cant really tune them. is that the case?
biggles
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by biggles »

We are a 2 motor family. The Honda is still in warranty and costs $6 an hour for servicing at the dealer. I do the Yamaha and it costs $1 an hour. Both have impellers done as a matter of course, both 4 stroke. The issue for me is that the quality of personnel at the dealer is poor and variable at times. The plus is that they have the magic box and supply the trend monitor info for examination which is invaluable and will be worth money when I sell th motor.

Parts come from the states and filters $9, impellers $20, whole pumps $40. I get them in batches to save freight.

I towed a bloke in from Fenton the other day. His motor had gone clunk! I didn't ask who did the servicing. My take on it is if you have a mechanical background like me, can use manuals and specs, can get advice if you need to on places like this forum, get in and start to do your own stuff to the limit of your ability.

Maybe we could organize a day somewhere and do some demos. Someone could bring a typical motor in. FFF ers who want to learn the ropes could chip in for the consumables and we could run a clinic style exercise on a typical service. It would not be welcome by the dealers but our hard fought anonymity might protect us.........

Biggles
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

biggles wrote:The issue for me is that the quality of personnel at the dealer is poor and variable at times
My biggest issue is just that. you get the 1st yr apprentice doing the work and we all know what 1st yrs are thinking about ALL of the time and its not work :evil:
Jimjanski
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jimjanski »

nomad wrote:
mippa wrote: but to do it properly takes skill to finely tune a motor!

Ive no idea but i thought that motors now have computers and you cant really tune them. is that the case?
I think your right there nomad, I'm pretty sure that they can connect a diagnostic connection or alike in and get accurate readings from all the little sensors that we pay for.
It does get a little tiring when you know when you being fed a load of :bs:
I'm over being told to just bring a boat in to be checked out instead of telling me what the issue could be so i can fix it, i'm not a mechanical wizz but i have a fair bit of experience and knowledge and am able to fix small issues myself. My last service as usual cost a fortune and still the primer pump goes soft whilst trolling ending in the motor stalling (has been happening since the first service.) I'm now going to replace the fuel lines from filter to motor. I'm angry at a certain dealer of boats that i visited recently for advice on an the issue, only to have the little bald pr..k and his young dropkick mate scoff and laugh at me when asking for advice and was told to just bring it in.
What kind of customer service is that?
I support local businesses that support locals or locals to be.
mudcrabnt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mudcrabnt »

If you ask any of the dealers in Darwin about warranty being void if motor is serviced by anyone but them,they will all say that you will lose your warranty if something goes wrong,but the fact is any genuine warranty problem must be fixed by the dealer duing the warranty period no matter what.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

a carbied 4 stroke actually needs to be manually tuned. yeah an injected one is basic and yes no need to pay big $$ for an apprentice on $5/hr to do it whenyou can do it yourself,

But yes any carbied motor takes a special person to tune properly.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

i agree with every1 on here i would not pay upto 1000 for a service its just legal robery!! if you can do it yourself why not.. Dont blame the mechancs when you go in blame the owners!!