Isuzu d-max

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
truck465
Gold Member
Gold Member

Isuzu d-max

Post by truck465 »

Anyone got anything bad to say about them ?
Thinking of selling 79 series 99' model cruiser and getting one.

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Isuzu d-max

Post by seano »

I've got one , done 18000 ks , lots of that towing on dirt- no problems whatsoever.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

seano wrote:I've got one , done 18000 ks , lots of that towing on dirt- no problems whatsoever.
One problem. It keeps braiking your boat trailer! :lol:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've got the old Rodeo version. Has been strong and reliable (towed a boat full of junk from Darwin to Taz no prob) but I don't like the electric 4wd shift (prefer manual), and some dash items are not illuminated at night. Nice to drive, ok on fuel, mine is a diesel.

Newer model might be different.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Daughters boyfriend was the Service Manager at a Honda dealership in Sydney that also sold D-max, best truck in their class he reckons. my brother just got one, loves it............
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I've got one, just put 40000K on it. No problems at all so far. tows the boat and quad everywhere. I'm running 31" muddies and getting around 480km out of the standard 55ltr tank. Will be upgrading to a long range tank shortly.
unseen1
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by unseen1 »

the current shape is a 65l tank. and should be getting more then that out of it .. Im getting 900 to a tank however still on standard tyres and running a chip.

Cheers
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

tank in mine is too small, always filling the bl..dy thing, but doesn't cost much to fill, haha
Kaos364
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kaos364 »

I just notched up 80k km on the 2010 Colorado (Rodeo) dual cab diesel auto, like Matt said they are a tough unit, you can't go wrong with an Isuzu chassis. That said, I have taken mine many places you really shouldn't (mud running, have killed 2 alternators and 2 starter motors), and have done the Gibb etc with massive corrigations (only thing broken was the spotties). Fuel consumption isn't too bad on mine, auto with 32's and a roof cage and tray loaded will get 10L/100km on the highway. Towing my 5m Quinnie CC it does around 14.5L/100km. The latest D-Max finally brought in coil fronts to replace the torsion bars, and my old boy gets the sh.ts if his (2014 model) doesn't get under 8L/100km around town...
cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cunno »

I had a 2010 for 80,000kms. Just traded on a new ranger. The Isuzu was a tough ute - great drivetrain and motor. Continually had problems with the breathers and water ingress to diffs etc through even shallow water crossings. Water ingress cost me a new diff and transfer case (as the diff was causing the transfer case to bind), admittedly all fixed under warranty. I used to replace the driveline fluids after deep water crossings. Ended up replacing them if I drove through a puddle. Torsion bars were average off-road. New ones have coil front end so should be a million times better. Overall, comfy enough ute, tough engine and good price.
turnz426
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by turnz426 »

I've got the 09 model with 100k and can't recommend it highly enough, tow a 6m boat with ease past road trains etc, make sure to extend the diff breathers though, as cunno said the stock breathers seem to suck water in when it rains!!!! Tough ute that can take a flogging
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Who sells the D-Max in Darwin? I might have a bit to say
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
unseen1
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by unseen1 »

NT automotive ..

buy from never go back is what I have done though :p