High and farrrk!

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
jdog
Seadog
Seadog

High and farrrk!

Post by jdog »

Gday fellas today i plowd into a muddy reefy heap of poop near lizzy mouth! Suckd heaps of mud and poop thru motor then had to get out and push! Cut my feet up bad anyway once unstuck the motor wasnt pumping water! I endend up doin a mcgyver and sucking on that hose where the water pumps out. After a million mouthfuls of poop it came good and was flowing again! When i got home to flush the motor i noticed the watermaround the prop was litteraly boiling couldnt touch it! Im wondering if this is normal to be so hot or maybe sum gearbox damage. The boat seemed fine all day just so bl..dy hot when i got home! Any thoughts????

jdog
Seadog
Seadog

Re: High and farrrk!

Post by jdog »

Post was ment to be high and dry lol
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

By the sounds of it you may have done some serious damage to the impeller. Dont run the motor and either change out your impeller or take it to someone who can do it.
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
jdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jdog »

Hmmmmmm frig!!! So it pumps water as normal but realy hot
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

lol ive never seen anyone give mouth to mouth to their outboard... usually a bit of wire or 100lb leader will do the trick - try that next time.

so its wasnt hot before ? have you only noticed it now? if its changed then i would definitely get it replaced - or do it yourself.
the water coming out of the leg is usually pretty warm though depending on the make/model.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Jdog, there was a recent thread on this kind of impeller problem, where (as I recall), it was the water pressure from the hose/rabbit ears that 'pushed' the water around and not the impeller, but gave the impression the impeller was ok! I'm guessing, but you may still have some solid type muck in there still too.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Yeah on the 250hp Suzuki the water is hot after it sits there idling for a while !! But not boiling that's for sure
Motors aren't designed to be run for long periods of time on te ear muffs as there not getting submerged in water if your tell tale is still strong it may just be something you hadn't noticed before ??
jdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jdog »

Yea a cable tie and mouth to mouth got it flowing on the water as normal but wen i went to flush it was idleing funny and hot i should also mention i picked up some rope in the prop but i was on to that pretty quik! It was a fail of a day everything went wrong! So im pretty concerned as it was farkin hot i also noticed a bit of oil around the back of boat im thinking gearbox seal or the hyd steering i just installed! I will suss it out tomoro is a impaller swap a big job or could i manage it myself im pretty handy and have tools
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Jdog, if you are fairly handy, you should be able to change the impeller yourself.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

did you end up sortin it out mate?
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Motors also have a bypass for the thermostat that water rushes around once the temp gets up, had my motor overheating alarm come on at one stage, was after ploughing through some shallow stuff, turned out the bypass was clogged with mud and shell bits!!

Water still pumped ok through telltale and no overheat at low speed, only did it when cruising, maybe something similar to this has caused a water flow restriction somewhere!?

Motor is usually always very hot when you first put it on the earmuffs as well, especially the telltale, depending how long you have had it out of the water before you flush it, mine tends to cool down a bit after running for 5 min on the earmuffs!

But I would definitely check the impeller anyway, can get ripped up pretty bad by shell grit!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!