EATS — Ike Jime and Eating Quality

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
LLCC
Gold Member
Gold Member

EATS — Ike Jime and Eating Quality

Post by LLCC »

Many years ago in the 1970s, I watched a black and white documentary on television of a tuna hunt by Japanese fishermen. Their bait was elaborately prepared from Flying Fish. After the tuna is subdued and brought on board, I saw they did some procedure of driving a spike through the head of the giant Yellowfin Tuna. Then in a few quick strokes, they cut the jugular, the tail, let out blood at the lateral line and inserted a length of monofilament line into the hole that was made into the head by the spike. At that time, I was more in awe of the huge sizes of fish they caught than on the procedure of Ike Jime and its ramifications. After all, I am first a sport angler, and I release all the fish I catch except those that I’m unable to successfully revive.

https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/201 ... g-quality/

Take only what you can't revive! and when you do, make it the best that it can be with Ike Jime.

LL

Lawrence Lee
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/

a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Re: EATS — Ike Jime and Eating Quality

Post by AJay »

I tend to just stick them with a screwdriver about 15-25mm up and behind the eye then cut the blood vessels around the back of the gills. Most fish up here don't bleed enough to warrant cutting the tail I think and it just creates another opening for bacteria etc to enter the fillets, especially if they are going to sit in a slurry for a couple days on a longer trip.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I always run the blade through the necks of all the fish I keep and let them bleed out. If I'm lucky enough to get a long tail tuna for sashimi I neckit, stab it just behind the lateral fins and cut of the tail.

The local Timorese keep the fish completly intact with the theory that if you cut the fish you will invite more bacteria in fish. They don't even refrigerate for a couple days before eating it. Give me food poison just thinking about it.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Take only what you can't revive! and when you do, make it the best that it can be with Ike Jime.
Agreed I only keep what I can't revive!! Don't revive so good with there throat cut! :D
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Fillet and release is a good practice I reckon.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

cuddlescooper wrote:Fillet and release is a good practice I reckon.

Fillet then release into a crab pot that is....
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

balou wrote:I always run the blade through the necks of all the fish I keep and let them bleed out. If I'm lucky enough to get a long tail tuna for sashimi I neckit, stab it just behind the lateral fins and cut of the tail.

The local Timorese keep the fish completly intact with the theory that if you cut the fish you will invite more bacteria in fish. They don't even refrigerate for a couple days before eating it. Give me food poison just thinking about it.
I saw that cutting around the pectoral fin on a Southern Bluefin the other day. The next Longtail I caught, I was going to try it. I usually cut their throat but still get a large blood line through the flesh I need to cut out. I'm hoping to minimize this a bit more
LLCC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LLCC »

Hemi wrote:
cuddlescooper wrote:Fillet and release is a good practice I reckon.

Fillet then release into a crab pot that is....
Fillet and release the guts and skeleton in a crab pot. :rofl:

LL
Lawrence Lee
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/

a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

I have been killing my tuna with a brain spike for years, I continue the spike to the base of the spine and then run 500lb mono down the spinal cord. This makes the Tuna brain dead and nerve dead so their muscles stop spasming but their heart keeps pumping for a short time. I then flip the fish over and nick the main artery going into the gills, and drive the knife point in behind both fins10-15mm. Tuna bleed out super quick without thrashing around and bruising the meat if you do this and it makes a world of difference. Last step in the process is to put the fish in an ice and saltwater slurry ASAP.
Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Great info, cheers John :mrgreen:
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

I will second Johns way of killing the tuna. Best tuna I had eaten from up here was when he spiked it. Good to watch but buggered if I remembers the spots he did it. Never got it right when I tried it.
Time for another session John so you can jog my memory