Dundee & Melville

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dundee & Melville

Post by Wrighty »

Hey guys a few pics from a couple of trips I did on my break. Went to Melville one weekend and did ok. Lots of pelagics. Then went to Dundee the next weekend and done pretty well, 15 good goldies 55-72cm, half a dozen cobia, 1 little red, 1 trout, macs and the usual tricky's etc. Highlight for me was trying out the new squid lights and getting 35-40 good size squid in the cast net at night (no photos so didn't happen right haha).

Cheers,

Wrighty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee & Melville

Post by theodosius »

Nice haul!
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I have been thinking of trying to get squid like that . What deapth of water and types of places will that work? In bays or out in the deeper water?
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Awesome work mate
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

Not too sure where is best Jonr, I've only just started doing it myself. But I tried overnight at Melville and heaps of gars kept head butting the light but no squid all night. The one's we got were out off Dundee near sail city in about 20-25m water. Moved spots a couple of times during the night and the squid showed up at every spot. Just had to wait a little while for enough of them to form a school to make it worthwhile throwing the net. Tried squid jig when there was only 1 or 2 hanging around but they weren't interested.

I guess it would work in shallow water also, the lights attract them at the wharf so same same I guess
liddsy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by liddsy »

nice catches mate
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Hey mate nice catch, seen your rig out at Dundee I think mate, just wanted to say your sticker wrap looked sick mate
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Some great fish there mate.
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

cheers boys, come say gday next time scottie, always keen for a beer!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

8)
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

I will have to give the squid thing a go for sure now, nothing beats fresh salt and pepper squid!
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Nice fishes. I missed your post about the squid lights, what did you do? I wanted to put a couple of flood lights on the T-Bar on the transom to shine back down into the water for squid. Are yours outside shining into the water or hooked up to the boat underwater? I've seen both and the above water look to be heaps cheaper (obviously)
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

Mine are the underwater ones Jabsy. Mounted next to transducers. But I guess shining any light into the water from above would work too. Just a matter of leaving it on til they school up tight enough to get a cast net over them, then I was turning the light off a second or 2 before throwing the net so they didn't see it coming.

The hardest part was resisting the temptation to send live squid down on the hooks but I'd rather eat them than use em for bait
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Nice fish mate. Good to see the new rig gaining some mojo. As for the squid mate ya cant go wrong slapping one on a hook. The bigger fish then come out to play. But also hard to beat on a plate.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

you can get a submersible bait light for just this sort of thing. I got mine from quality marine for about $100 bucks I think. plugs into a cigarette lighter socket and then you just put it under the water. lights up a good area