boat stolen/under finance check

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Dan Boy

boat stolen/under finance check

Post by Dan Boy »

Hey I hope I'm posting in the right area. I'm looking at buying a boat. My question is is there any check I can do to see if the boat is stolen other then checking the trailer? And how can I check if the boat is under finance and needs to be paid off? Kinda like a revs check on a car. No boat Rego here so I'm hoping there's another way to do it. I'd hate to buy my dream boat then get it repossed!

Cheers!

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: boat stolen/under finance check

Post by Hemi »

Try boatfacts.com.au ??

Ive never done it but you can get a revs check done or a ppsr check.

You can also have police check hull indentifications numbers on their system ( if the boat has one)
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
stuart
Seadog
Seadog

Post by stuart »

ppsr.gov.au
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Make sure you get a written receipt with the sellers drivers lic number and signature
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Dan Boy

Post by Dan Boy »

Sounds great. Cheers for that. I figured I could call the cops and get them to check for stolen. Making sure it's not under debt is my main thing.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Is the seller the original owner? If so ensure you sight all the original paperwork with his name on it. Service book should have his name on it also. Rego papers under his name would indicate that the boat is most likely his also (unless he stole the boat and had a trailer to fit - possible but unlikely). Cops will check if stolen. If owner is not original owner ensure you get a copy of his proof of purchase. Get a statutory declaration from the police (blank) and include name, date of birth, address, description of boat, trailer and motor (include serial numbers). Also include that it is not under finance and is unencombered in any way ie. joint ownership, finance, etc. Always a case of buyer beware unfortunately. Best of luck.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
got-none
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by got-none »

like stuart said ppsra
public property security register
then you will find out if $$$$ is oweing and you will be able to print a certificate to prove its freehold or if moneys oweing

you can do a check on the hull identification number then the engine serial number then trailer vin
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein-