12v fridge/freezers

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

12v fridge/freezers

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

I need to but a good reliable fridge/freezer for trips away, what are people opinions on the good, the bad and the ugly? I've been eying off one of those "Trailblazer" jobs for a while. Are they worth the money? Compared to engel, ARB or waeco, are they any better?
If like to hear people's stories about the name brands to compare them all.
Cheers

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 12v fridge/freezers

Post by mickkk »

I had my old waeco in getting fixed at rados, and got talking to him.
He was saying that the new waecos are meant to be really good quality and design. He has had next to none through for fixes, and that's what he would be getting.

In saying that I odopted my old mans engle that lasted 22 years, was as loud as a truck and sucked the power, but lasted for ever.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

I have both a Trailblazer 70 and an Engle 60..........if living in the back of a ute full time all the time get a Trailblazer...that's what they are made for.....big heavy and tuff......not much room for their size though IMO.....if in the car/wagon Engel without a doubt.......quiet lighter and a smaller footprint for their size and fully automatic 12/240 volt changeover....brilliant.

Waeco.........seen to many go down.......cheap sure reliable....no way.......most people I know who bought them wished they spent extra on an Engel
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

The thing that most people struggle with waeco is there are very sensitive with their power supply. Must be the correct gauge cables for length, some cigaret plugs don't have a high enough amps to run them.

Also they have the batterie protector with different settings. If on the wrong setting they will cut out very early.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Check out the Giant Power ones from Aussie Batteries. Good price. I just got a 60l fridge/freezer dual compartment, separate temp controls for under a grand delivered to your door. They have a video on their website that compares them to the three major brands. Danfoss internals, fibreglass inside/ stainless outer.

Obviously I don't know how long I'll get out of it, but they have a five or six year warranty.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Ive got a 72ltr National Luna fridge freezer.
All stainless construction, twin door, runs off 12v, 24v or 240.
Very happy with it..!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Engel is the go mate
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by littlemack3 »

: I got 2 waceos one 35lt its abit over 10 years old bounced around back of ute campers trailer quad bike and boat and gets used in shed as ice freezer when at home been unreal never had a problem whatsoever also have a 65lt frdge freezer going two years now and still can't fault it no problems with whatso ever had Engels in our primemovers for work and mates had in back of toyotas there all been replaced not as good as they used to be I had my grandfathers 20 year old engel was the best fridge ever unbreakable that bugger I would steer clear of arb fridges if it's used out in boats etc or back of ute a good fridge good warranty but they have the faults and currently 3 month wait plus on spares but why my waceos keep going I'll keep giving them the :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cheers:
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Good esky now days will keep cold for days. And leaves $1000 extra coin for the ice

No issue with drained battery or fridge stuffing up 2 days into trip. Sworn off them for years and think mate has gone through 2. I rekon i am $2000 ahead ( shakes hes head evertime he sees the old esky still kicking 5 days into trip)
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

Haha I love the story about the esky STANDY! That's just gold mate.
Hemi, those national Luna fridges are the most expensive on the market arent they? I've heard lots of good thing about them but I've also heard heaps about engel and trailblazers being top of the line.
Do the national Luna fridges have as much insulation as the trailblazer?
Basstard, what do you mean about trailblazers not having much room for their size, I know they are a massive unit but if it advertises a 50L fridge freezer, isn't thst the cavity size?
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

I think they are a few grand?? Dunno, i got the dealer to throw it in as a freebie when i bought my hilux!
The model i have has an extremely thick wall..wouldnt be surprised if its the most insulated on the market?

Standy... Agreed!! The old esky is still king!! Only reason i have a fridge is it was free! I just use my tropical ice box in the tinny!! Make my own block ice and it lasts for about 4 days easy..
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

How big a fridge you want. I have a 40l primus one for $500 if you are interested. I won it in a comp and its never been used. Retails for about $800 new from what I can find on the net.

I have an 80L engel and never had a drama with it. it gets smashed around the boat and covered in water. Been awsome so far. 7 years old now.
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

That's a bl..dy good freebie hemi! I might go out and buy a new hilux just to get one haha!
I'm looking at a 60l-80l to permanently live in my car so I never run out of cold beer ever again! Been on too many trips, return for the drive home and go , God id love a beer right about now! But cherrs anyway cuddles!
I'm still leaning towards an engel or trailblazer, the Luna costs way to much for accountant(wife) to let me get away with but I still want a unit I will have for years and years to come, so im sceptical about a waeco or evacool lasting 10+ years
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

swamp_donkey89 wrote:Haha I love the story about the esky STANDY! That's just gold mate.
Hemi, those national Luna fridges are the most expensive on the market arent they? I've heard lots of good thing about them but I've also heard heaps about engel and trailblazers being top of the line.
Do the national Luna fridges have as much insulation as the trailblazer?
Basstard, what do you mean about trailblazers not having much room for their size, I know they are a massive unit but if it advertises a 50L fridge freezer, isn't thst the cavity size?

They just seen to be a physically big unit for not a lot of internal space........compared to an Engel.........also you need a transformer to run 240v...........Very sturdy units though.
gove tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gove tony »

One word Engel you wont regret it. :bow:
tony