Mine rehab in spotlight

Global warming and overfishing. And any good news we can dig up.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Mine rehab in spotlight

Post by Matt Flynn »

Mine rehab is important because it can affect waterways, eg Mt Todd gold mine ... https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nent-scars

Kadango
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mine rehab in spotlight

Post by Kadango »

Matt - I hate to call you out, but do you have any idea of the rules and regs in the Territory for these issues, or the lengths that have been gone to at Mt Todd in particular?

I agree that providing this information is important, but there is no bearing on the results in the Territory - even the story is mostly Qld based (and coal at that) - steps taken for rehab are already well defined up here (and continue to be assessed and developed as required), and securities to ensure this are calculated by the Government, under government regulations, control and knowledge.

In actual fact, the water quality in and around the site that you have mentioned has been improved by the current operator - not impacted upon.

Indeed, the resources sector not only contributes the largest proportion of any to the economy, it is also one of the largest employers in the Territory (after the Government of course) - and is often the catalyst in rural and regional areas for sustainable economic development. With the diversity of commodities that we currently enjoy in the Territory, and with more coming on line, the benefits will be felt for generations to come.

Happy to have this discussion with anyone, and not trying to be a nark - just want to make sure that a balanced discussion can be had, as the article you have presented has no application up here

cheers

Kadango
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Glad to hear things have improved at Mt Todd, but a lot of very bad things happened there.

Rum Jungle is still leaching, needs millions spent according to the last report I read.

And then there are the problems down in the Gulf country ...

There needs to be ongoing awareness of the importance of mining rehabilitation bonds.

I don't just post on NT matters. The FISH FINDER book covers all states, except Tassie, funnily enough.
Gagey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gagey »

Lads your living in lala land. I bailed Ron Kelly and expressed my concerns just recently. His response gives me some hope. We are looking at some major issues coming our way. Ie Gove, jabiru, why are we still having to deal with Rum jungle? The Feds screwed us on that one, back in the seventies. What about all the quarries around Darwin that haven't been rehabed. Have you driven around the back of Pine Creek? And you say the rehab issue doesn't effect the NT. The jabiru operator has already stated that they don't have the funds for rehab. NT news last year. Groote has a great rehab team but only as long as the new miner continues to provides adequate funding. I'm happy to debate this one and provide 8x10 coloured glossy with circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back of each explaining what it is. I still don't understand why the government didn't chase Pegasus al the way back to Canada. It's ok for other countries to sue Aust companies. Sorry I'm getting carried away now, but in closing the resource sector has a duty to rehab after mining, if they can't afford to do it then leave it in the ground. Did I mention that I'm going fishing tomorrow. Good nite