Identify this shark

TOMUCH
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Identify this shark

Post by TOMUCH »

Gidday all... Can anyone ID this shark? My first impression was that its a Great White. It was caught out near Long Lost. Once a pic was taken it was immediatley released. estimated lenght was probably just over 8 feet. Took some time to haul it up on the Tekota 600. Swam off nicely after cutting it off at the leader... I wasn't too keen to get much closer than that...lol. Cheers Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GETTING A NEW BOAT... YEE HA
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

it's not the best picture, just meaning you can't see his tail or his head properly..
so i'm just going to guess,, it was caught on Mono,, so it did'nt have big teeth..
I'm calling it a Lemon shark...
Last edited by back-cast on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Definately not a Great White! Looks like a lemon shark to me.
TOMUCH
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TOMUCH »

maxpower wrote:Definately not a Great White! Looks like a lemon shark to me.
Thanks guys, didnt have a pic of a Lemon Shark in my Aust FishGuide, but just checked it out on google and I agree, Lemon Shark it is.

Cheers
Mark
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

It's Bruce..... :grin:
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

If it has teeth Id say it was a Tawny nurse shark.(going by the shape of its pecs)
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Bruce the great white lemon shark. I crack myself up!!!! :rofl:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

They are thick over those reefs around long lost. I always called them nurse sharks.
TOMUCH
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TOMUCH »

balou wrote:They are thick over those reefs around long lost. I always called them nurse sharks.
Yeah I knew it was pretty big when I was pulling it up, but I must say I got a bit of a shock when it came into view. lol.. I dont usually catch sharks that size. Was using a knife jig with a wire trace as we were pulling up some nice spanish macks from the bottom.. could not entice them up when trolling, so figured we would bash the reef for a bit. lost 4 mono rigs in 2 mins. so sent some wire down with a soft plastic.. bang mack straight up. then tried a steel slice, another two one after the other. That was no more than 5 mins for 3 fish. But my wire was nearly totaled... Had a knife jig rigged up so I put that on and this old fella hit it on the way down. I dont think he even knew he was hooked for ten mins. Ended up with 3 macks about 12 lbs each. Had my inlaws ( father and brother) with me. They had never been fishing before so it was quite a treat for them. We just packed it up after the lemon shark and headed home, was at home washed and relaxing with a beer by 3pm. Good day in all. Cheers Mark