HDS gen 3 questions

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

HDS gen 3 questions

Post by mickkk »

G'day all.
I'm in the market for a new sounder for the new tub.
I think I have settled on getting the new lowrance HDS 3. But and happy to be advised if people think I should be looking at others.
The reasons why Im leaning towards the HDS 3 are:
*Structure scan 3d. This looks awsome. I think I would buy one with out the structure scan transducure for now and wait for the 3d unit to come out.

*To be able to link in with the Motorguide. ( I have not purchased this yet, but will most likely get the 80ld Motorguide, it's about $700 cheaper then minn Kota too. I know that's a whole nother topic minn kota v Motorguide but happy to be advised if there is any reason I shouldn't go moterguide)

* I like the idea of being able to wifi it to another screen, how ever this brings up my main question. Has anyone had experence with these? Does it work as good as it looks on utube? I was tossing up between the HDS 7 or 9. It's about an extra $900 for the 9". I know there's problems with screens over heating, but if I could get a good enough tablet / touch screen with a 10 or 12 inch screen and mount in on my console. ( even if I had to put a tinted Perspex screen infront and over the top a little to protect it. Then mount the HDS 7 up the front of the boat.
But I dont know if the wifi would be reliable enough, or if there is still things you need on the head unit when using a wifi screen.

Has anyone gotta hds gen 3 ? What's their thoughts?

Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: HDS gen 3 questions

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

Just purchased a similar setup. Hds9 gen 3 with motorguide. Installing during the week. Plan to run tablet as 2nd screen on ram mounts. If all goes smoothly, Will update next weekend :)
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Navionics have an App for tablets called 'sonar chart live', works directly off the Wifi on the hds 9 gen 3.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I installed one on Friday night, and used it yesterday. One thing that puzzles me, is why they put the big fat nut on the transducer cable, that you have to putt through all sort of tight spaces, yet the skinny thin end of the plug on the back of the unit.
Can you tell there was lost of spare words and spitting of dummies whilst pulling my transducer cables through.