Garmin gpsmap 750s help!

ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Garmin gpsmap 750s help!

Post by ozdodge »

Hi guys,

I've got a garmin gpsmap 750s in the new boat, and it was working fine until recently and now it won't turn on.

I am not sure whether it's the head unit or the cabling. Can't see a fuse on the wiring, and unlike the lowrances there's no distinguishing the different pins on the plug, so not sure which is supposed to be power, so can't confirm it's getting power to the plug.

Took it into a shop to plug it into their display ones but the fitting has changed on the new model. Mine is 2010

Looking for someone with a rig with same garmin, to plug mine into to test, or advice on which pins are supposed to carry power (without me stripping back my plug). Otherwise where can I take it to get checked?

Thanks people!

ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Garmin gpsmap 750s help!

Post by theodosius »

Should be a little fuse there somewhere. Have you cleaned the pins and checked that the power wire connected to one of the wires coming off the plug has power?
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

I had the same model, with the same issue.

I can't tell you what was wrong with it as the dealer swapped it with a new head unit after it failed to work in his display setup.

Whilst I haven't really helped you, it may give an indication that it's not the cabling, although my setup had an inline fuse that was completely buried in the wiring loom and I had to pull the whole loom out to find it. It might be worth doing the same to check it first.

I no longer have the boat (and I'm not local to Darwin) so unfortunately I can't help with trying in with the older connections either.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Trev you can plug your head unit into my boat if you want? I'll be home this arvo after 2ish. 0417625980
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Thanks all,

I ended up taking it down to In and Outboard, who were very helpful, and they pulled a new plug out of the packet and tested my head unit with a battery in the shop - turns out the head unit won't power up, so they've sent it away to Garmin for me to get fixed.

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!