Electric Motors and Dual Batteries?????

Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Electric Motors and Dual Batteries?????

Post by Dingo »

I have a motorguide bow mounted wireless electric motor which is just brilliant. It will last all day if i am just using it to flick lures, but I also use it for trolling which it does not last as long depending on current and wind. I have a deep cycle battery that I connect it straight to and sit it on the casting deck, and then reacharge it at the end of the day when it has usually gone flat.

I am thinking of getting some sort of duel battery system set up, I think what i am doing is the cheap and nasty way of doing things, and a bit cave man like, so i have a couple of questions.

What are other people doing who have electric motors.

Can someone recomend anywhere in Darwin to get a kit (if that is what you can do) from or someone to install it.

Is it a simple job to do, can you just buy a kit or is it best left to the experts to install. (if i lived in Darwin I would just get someone to do it, but as i live in the sticks I really cant be bothered driving all the way to Darwin to get dualys when I could do it my self)

Any help would be appreciated, I do not really know any other boaties to ask and I am not to switched on when it omes to this sort of stuff, and this may help others on the forum i am guessing aswell.

Thanks Dingo

Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Dingo,

Give the guys at Battery World a call, they will help you out. They live and breath batteries and have great service.
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Batteries

Post by jasonmcc »

Would sort of setup do you want to run?

Do you want two batteries for your electric motor and one for your outboard?

If you only want a main battery and and aux battery for your electric there is probably not a whole lot of point to it. Because a deep cycle is not going to get fully charged by a little bit of driving with your outboard.

Let us know more of what idea you had and I can help you.

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Digo I have 2 deep cycle batteries under the console for minn kota and a crank battery with a 4 point switch ,off ,minn kota ,crank or both. Im sure if you explained to whoever you buy the switch off what you want to do with it they will draw you a diagram it wouldnt be hard ,dont get a cheap switch as they wont last long and as JC says you will put bigger all charge in your trolling motor battery unless you are running around for hours,Ive never looked like flattening the 2 deep cycle batteries with the minn kota,and just wack them on the cut out charger when I get home.
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dingo »

Thnks for the info Jason, Timbo and Max. I have not even thought of running two deep cycles, but that could be the way to go, it seems that it would be easy enough to install and a fairly cheap solution to get more hours out of the electric.

Thats why the forum is so helpful.

Jason I have sent you a PM.

Thanks, Dingo
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dingo »

If anyone is intereseted I ended up upgrading my battery to a 120Ah deep cycle/cranking battery as my old battery was only a 70Ah, and also got myself a proper charger for that style of battery which was a redarc charger from supercharge batteries, and I have not even looked like flattening this battery yet and I have given it a good run.

Dingo
DC
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by DC »

Dingo,

Looking at a Motor Guide myself, 55 Bow mount. How do you find them.. Any trouble? I've heard that they did have problems with the circuit boards?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

DC
DC
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by DC »

Dingo,

Looking at a Motor Guide myself, 55 Bow mount. How do you find them.. Any trouble? I've heard that they did have problems with the circuit boards?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

DC
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dingo »

DC, I have had mine for nearly 2 years and it has had a lot of use, I have never had any trouble from it at all, or heard of any troubles. I was either going to go a minkotta or motorguide and was not bias towards any brand, Some of my mates had Min kottas.

They were both similar in price and the main reason i went for the motorguide is that they were wireless, which personally i think is a big bonus. So I would say go for it.

Dingo
DC
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by DC »

Thanks for the info mate. Ordered it today, should be in by next week. Yeah the digital wireless was the big seller. Now just got to head to battery world.....
jcwelsh22

Re: Electric Motors and Dual Batteries?????

Post by jcwelsh22 »

We've got 2 crank batteries with an isolator for both or each one individually and also 2 deep cycle batteries for our 24v MotorGuide and all the extras(on board charger and home charging). When we got it all installed we also asked for two 12v plugs to be installed. They've taken the 12v of the MotorGuide batteries which doesn't seem right to me since we have dual cranks. What system does every one else use for this type of operation. We occasionally run an Engel on board. Any advice or experiences would be great. Cheers!
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

I run my engel and all accessories off the outboards dual batteries.. The 24v set up only runs the motorguide. Never had a problem I just Isolate one battery overnight so I know I have a full battery in the morning. But Engels don't use much so wouldn't matter.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

I have 2 x 12 volt wet batteries with an iso switch. I have them connected together thru a tollbridge 24 volt gizmo that gives me 24 volt for the Miinn Kota. The batteries charge 12 volt from the outboard. I did put Anderson plugs on the connections from the tollbridge to the batteries to isolate them back to normal when I don't take the Minn Kota this gives me piece of mind to prevent feedback between the batteries if one does fail.

I did have a separate 24volt battery but it was just too much wait to carry around all the time and too bl..dy heavy to lift in and out.
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

There is a subject on this in here you just need to search for it.

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)