Battery Maintenance

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Battery Maintenance

Post by dannett »

Hi guys,

I have a sealed marine battery in the boat that's been going strong for a couple of years. It still holds charge and thanks to being a bit bigger than necessary still cranks over the yammy nice and crisply. But I have noticed the voltage is starting to dip. I am planing to do a battery upgrade later in the year in preparation for a motor guide setup so I will spend more coin then.

What I would like to do now is use a "battery rejuvenator" to give it a bit more life over the next 6 months before I shell out on the inevitable replacement. Are there any recommendations of a product to use / stay clear of that can extend the life of this battery?

Cheers,

Dan

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Battery Maintenance

Post by nomad »

Ive had a range from 2 to 3 1/2 yrs. same batteries, same use, same charge. just the luck of the draw i reckon
i think if you get 2 yrs you are doing well.
take it to the dealer and they will tell you if its ok or not.
considering $180 odd for 2 yrs, good value. thats 2 cartons a year
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

bite the bullet and get a new one- from experiacne battery voltage drops pretty quickly once it starts a downward spiral especially when they are old batteries
you will be p...ed 30km down the daly when it dies and its just on dark and you cant get it started and your fluffing around pull starting in the dark and thats if you can get it started on the pull
its cheap insurance for $150 to get another batt to tie you over
if not get one of these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... om=1021638
keep it in the boat- and take it with you when you go remote or in the car whatever they are handy
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

If you have a charger with a Recondition setting use that and make sure there is enough electrolyte in the casing but I wouldn't worry about any additives. Put the money you would of spent on additives towards a new battery setup sooner rather than later as mentioned. Don't get me wrong you can buy the chemicals if you like but the jury is out on whether they even work.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Agree with all of the above. Replace one or both. Humidity (it seems to me) kills them. Two years is a good run. At one stage I had mine staggered, where I'd replace one each year. That worked until last year where I found both had died at the same time. I was fortunate that it was at the Dinah ramp when they let go.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I knew you would all say that. Hahaha. Yes 2 years is about run of the mill I reckon. Sounds like the verdict here is get a new battery. Thank you all, now let me rephrase this......

I have said old battery which is too good to take to the dump. I will replace said battery with a new cranking battery. If I wanted to isolate my electrical accessories from the crank battery (sounder, stereo, cb, etc) by using the older battery is there any worthwhile maintenance steps I could take? Or is a top up with distilled water about the best solution?

Dan.