Groodt eylandt

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Groodt eylandt

Post by megmat »

hello fishos,
I need to get some inside info on groodt eylandt. I have an interview for a job on the island early Jan. I have been looking online and have got as bit of an idea. The whole family plus the dog would be coming if I get the job. We love fishing and would see the experience as a real adventure. Has anyone lived on the island. What community were you in and what was the housing like. Any information would be really helpful. The wife and kids are keen but it would be good to get some first hand knowledge.
Cheers Matt

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Groodt eylandt

Post by Dick »

Anyone who can give Matt some info, it would be much appreciated :)
Regards Dick
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I havent been their personally but a relative has. They said it was the same as any community with its ups and downs but if it's any indication he didn't want to leave because of the out doors life style. On a down side they did leave to ensure the kids went to get good schooling as they were reaching that age and not really developing in the school on the island. If I see him again I will ask a few questions.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

I go there several times a year for work..
Usually for only a few days at once... And cant wait to leave each time..! Its a hole!!
Last time we were there the locals rioted at the airport, we were pelted with stones, the cops were attacked, police cars smashed... All we saw was drinking & violence. Wouldnt take my family there if you paid me.

Yeah the fishing is great..!! But its not enough to make me live there. (Everyones different thou)

The job would want to pay $$$$$$ and throw in good housing thats for sure!!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

Agree..I was there a few yrs ago

Lucky to get out alive
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

I live there and have for the past 9 years in Alyangula. we have raised 2x kids & felt quite safe, we were broken into a few times in the early days, only for alcohol as the TO's can't drink, we got a "cheeky dog" & that has fixed the problem for the past 5 years. From what I read on this forum, I would rather alcohol then my boat & other belongings stolen. I lived in Katherine (born) and the public nuisance there is far worse.
the fishing and out doors is exceptional, I just have not contributed to the forum with posts about it for some time now.
Groote is a great place and we look forward to more people comming as the town has suffered a shrink in the past 4 years.
Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by megmat »

Hobbsy,
It is good to hear that you have enjoyed your time on the island. I work with the indigenous mobs in the Pilbara at the moment and I know there are problems but its not always like that. Hopefully the job interview goes well and we get a chance to come and see for ourselves.
Cheers Matt
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

too easy, any questions, just ask. Look fwd to another person on island. We will be back from holidays on 23 Jan
Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Mate it is a top place.

What work are you looking at and do they provide accommodation?

I residedinAlyangula which is the mining/government worker town. It has a good club, golf course, resort shops and take away. The shops are not flash, and food can be pricey unless you have a Gemco discount card, but I am sure your work will financially compensate for that.

There is a gym and pool. Just go to the services mob up from the shop, and get keys. You have to pay a deposit on them but well worth it.

Lots of camping and land based fishing sites around the island as well as plenty of day trip places to take the kids if you have a 4wd get the map from the same place you get the keys.

Plenty of people out there sre really family social and if your wife wants work, tell her to ask every business including governement offices if they need staff. Positions go unfilled as there is no housing so no one from off island has a chance

Petrol is about 90 c per l and diesel about 1.38 p l.

Angurugu is not a place to raise your children. Although safe enough it is a bit behind education wise. Great schhol fscilities but there are issues.

The town is very rough and ready and ifthe kids don't like you they will rock your house all night

Umbacumba has good facilities, is safer for family and has great viewsand fishing.

All over the island fishi g is great. But there are lots of crocs and sometimes it is best to day trip and travel in pairs to so e of the hard to get to places and where the locals might be. They sometimes like to ask for fuel smokes or permission to camp money. If you get my drift.

Go there, get used to buying clothes and fishi g gear online and there is no kfc. Or maccas for that matter.

Flights to and from are expensive so if you can getapackage with extra flights itwill ease the pressure on the missus a bit. Its an idilic life a long way from anywhere and as an island people can get a bit "different"
megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by megmat »

Cj,
The job is with the AFL. I don't have an interview until mid jan but am just trying to get prepared. I don't know what they offer in terms of accommodation etc but will find out at the interview. My family loves camping and fishing and the outdoors lifestyle. We have lived in the Pilbara before but now we are in Perth and I work away. My wife has been gearing up the kids for a move and we would all be super keen if everything was to go our way. My wife and I are both trained teachers but I know work in the mining industry and have done for a few years. The opportunity would be a real adventure and a great way to come and see some of the country that not everyone gets to see. I would then have an excuse to buy some more fishing gear. Hopefully there are a few people that need deckies on their boats up there.
Cheers Matt
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

PM sent then
megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by megmat »

Thanks CJ,
We had thought about a lot of the things that you brought up. I have a while before the interview to get things sorted with the questions i need to ask and will cover all of what you said. It sounds like Alyangula is the place to be staying so hopefully the accomodation will be there. We will just have to wait and see what is on offer and make a decision from there. We have looked at activities etc on the island and think we could find enough to do when we are not fishing. Thanks for all of the info it is much appreciated.
Cheers Matt
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Don't be a stranger here if you get the gig Matt. Pretty resilient forum this one :)
Regards Dick
megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by megmat »

I will definately keep checking on this website dick if i get the gig. I will be keen to get out and fish at every opportunity and get the kids involved as well. Could possibly get ourselves a boat some time. I will be taking heaps of photos if it happens and i am happy to share. Hopefully i do well at the interview. only time will tell.
Cheers Matt
megmat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by megmat »

I have just accepted the job on Groodt. We will be flying up on the 13/2 to have a look around and then when we go back the whole family will come. Really looking forward to the challenge and the fishing. I just need to line myself up with someone who owns a boat and needs crew. Many target species to catch and a lot more tackle to buy. You beauty.
Cheers Matt