Will I find squid in open water anywhere??

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
Daneyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Will I find squid in open water anywhere??

Post by Daneyboy »

Hello to all.

I just put exterior lights on my boat and am determined to throw net squid out on the open water but I have no idea where the best places would be to do so.
Is there a best place on the ocean to try to attract squid to light?

I am going to the other side of Cox Peninsular for a night fish on Thursday so should I stop at any old spot to try to catch them or are there places where the squid are more likely to be??

Any tips will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Will I find squid in open water anywhere??

Post by Bellfish »

I go to simz reef a fair bit that's were we go for squid and a night fish think the best we did was 12kg in a night and mixed bag of goldies, jacks and jewies hope this helps
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

A bit hit and miss but any where there is reef at times will have squide. Just catch them as you fish.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Choose neap tides after the smaller of the two spring cycles coming off neaps going to springs, fish edges of deep main channels, good fish spots are also good squid spots, water clarity is important, fish dark nights, underwater light about 20watts enables you to see schools of squid, have someone bring them into range with a squid jig or better still a dead sardine tied to light line. Another very effective method is to use a small mesh scoop net, scoop from their pointy end and they will not see it coming. :mrgreen:
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Great question - I am also keen for information. I had got them wide of Dundee, but never out of Darwin except at Stokes
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

If you're manly enough, make a hand spear using about 20 sharpened motorbike spokes, more fun than trying to catch fish!