Is this the famous 8m croc photo

barra&hogs
Silver Member
Silver Member

Is this the famous 8m croc photo

Post by barra&hogs »

is this just good camera work at the end of this clip or one of the lost photos ??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrWfFEuG ... ure=fvwrel

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is this the famous 8m croc photo

Post by cuddlescooper »

barra&hogs wrote:is this just good camera work at the end of this clip or one of the lost photos ??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrWfFEuG ... ure=fvwrel
If most of them photos are real they are all fukking big crocs.,,,,,,,,,,
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Some good old photo's there :applause: :applause:

Now as discussed at heaps of bar over the years where is or was the biggest???????????? :idea: :idea:

Did anyone from up here (otherthan the Pococks) used to hang around the Wildman back in the early 70's? How big was the monster that used to live there? Wouldn't say 8 meters but he was 20 ft in the old scale. :) :) Anyone rememebr the one Roy James Wright caught in his net at Coorroboree :idea: :idea:

What about the one grumpy found out at Point Stuart at exactly the same time as Sweetheart died (conservation commission got both of them :naughty: )? :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: No neither of them were 20ft but they were 2 of the biggest I have had the priveledge to have been involved with. :mrgreen:

The only one that came close to them that I new off and he used to show his head only now and then was the one that lived at the bottom of the Shady S bends back in the same era. :idea: Still a few monsters hide on the Swim Creek flood plains but you would have to ask the chopper pilots about them you don't get that old without getting a few smarts. :lipsrsealed:

What happened to them old days :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Cheers good photo's but :clap:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Has anyone seen or shot more crocs than Tom Cole & he reckoned therers never been a 6 mtr animal :|
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

'Eric' the croc at the Gosford Reptile was reputed to be the biggest in captivity and it was 5.6m. Still a big fella but not 6m
Sheeby
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sheeby »

Eric at Gosford was closer to 4.5m and was far from the biggest croc in captivity, just a lot of exaggeration for marketing. As far as I know the largest is named Cassius who lives in a dodgy little park on Green Island off Cairns. He is supposed to be around 5.6m.

A 6 meter croc is definately possible but would be really rare.

An 8 meter croc? Pfffft what ever :lol:
bunji
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bunji »

Had a mate who was a pioneer in the crocodile farming industry here(one of his farms is still going)who started out as a pro shooter in PNG and the largest he ever measured was just under 20ft(19'8inches)with part of its tail missing on the mary river flood plains when the shady camp abattoirs was still running it was in hibernation mode in a drying up billabong.They attempted to hire a chinook helicopter to transport it but by the time the red tape was dealt with the rains started at it was lost
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

When I started out here 8 years ago, I heard a couple of reports of a 6+ meter at the topend of island/entrance to Kaisis creek. YEAH..YEAH. 3 years later and no sign of said croc, so bullsh.t. Heading back from Bald hill creek very late, allmost dark and just drifting with outgoing tide, all of a sudden rose this massive head out of water around 10 m. away before diving again. Same thing a year or so later, but more light,MATE...He makes 4.6m. skull I have here in bar look like a hatchling. Kai.
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

That Cassius was the 1st big croc i.ve laid eyes on Sheeby. Talk about a dodgy little pool alright, couldnt believe my eyes when it exploded out of that tiny hole after a thrown chook :shock: Wouldnt like to come across anyting like these size beauty,s in there territory.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
lincoln
Seadog
Seadog

Post by lincoln »

Ive seen lots of big crocs down the lower Ord before but a couple of the biggest i have seen has been up here in the last few months.

The first was in Jan below the Adelaide river bridge that was hanging around a dead buffalo. It was hard to get a good gauge on its size because it was very wary and only surfaced once before disappearing for good but it made another 4 meter croc close by look small in comparison. :o

The other one was last month in Carmor. Some one had thrown some fish carcasses onto the frist barrage and as we were cruising along with the minn kota we saw this monster half out of the water trying to climb the barrage. it receded into the water before i could get the camera out so i was spewin. we only saw half of it but it looked easily 5m+. be careful anyone camping on their boats down that way. :croc:

What makes me think there could be bigger crocs out there is that both these monsters were very wary and both disappeared straight away. both times we were using the electric motor which means they probably know the sound of a boat motor and know to hide.
There could still be a couple of huge crocs out there that no one ever gets to see because they still associate humans with danger.

Hopefully next time i will have the camera ready to go if i do come across one!!
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

bunji wrote:Had a mate who was a pioneer in the crocodile farming industry here(one of his farms is still going)who started out as a pro shooter in PNG and the largest he ever measured was just under 20ft(19'8inches)with part of its tail missing on the mary river flood plains when the shady camp abattoirs was still running it was in hibernation mode in a drying up billabong.They attempted to hire a chinook helicopter to transport it but by the time the red tape was dealt with the rains started at it was lost
As I said out that way on the Mary and the Swim Creek floodplain they are in plague proportions. Alan F who does most of his mustering out there with choppers and Quads tells the story's of them jumping out of buffalo wallows at the quads as you drive past on the edges of the flood plains. To think we used to walk around up to our guts picking up shoot geese :banghead: :banghead:
lincoln wrote:The other one was last month in Carmor. Some one had thrown some fish carcasses onto the frist barrage and as we were cruising along with the minn kota we saw this monster half out of the water trying to climb the barrage. it receded into the water before i could get the camera out so i was spewin. we only saw half of it but it looked easily 5m+. be careful anyone camping on their boats down that way. :croc:

What makes me think there could be bigger crocs out there is that both these monsters were very wary and both disappeared straight away. both times we were using the electric motor which means they probably know the sound of a boat motor and know to hide.
There could still be a couple of huge crocs out there that no one ever gets to see because they still associate humans with danger.

Hopefully next time i will have the camera ready to go if i do come across one!!
Like Lincoln said they are very wary (and I say cunning) thats why you don't see them, but trust me they are there :idea: :idea: :idea:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

I remember seeing an absolute monster in corroboree a few years back.. I'm no expert but I seriously reckon it was well over 5m long it dwarfed the 435 that we were in.. just the size of its head and the width of its tail were so much bigger than any other croc I have seen.. I think I have a picture at home somewhere I will try and find it.. :drinking8:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

lincoln wrote:Ive seen lots of big crocs down the lower Ord before but a couple of the biggest i have seen has been up here in the last few months.

The first was in Jan below the Adelaide river bridge that was hanging around a dead buffalo. It was hard to get a good gauge on its size because it was very wary and only surfaced once before disappearing for good but it made another 4 meter croc close by look small in comparison. :o

The other one was last month in Carmor. Some one had thrown some fish carcasses onto the frist barrage and as we were cruising along with the minn kota we saw this monster half out of the water trying to climb the barrage. it receded into the water before i could get the camera out so i was spewin. we only saw half of it but it looked easily 5m+. be careful anyone camping on their boats down that way. :croc:

The fresh water Finniss at hard castle road has the biggest one I have ever seen. I have seen a few 5m ones at shady and on the Adelaide but the one in there makes them look like geckos in comparison. Just the pure girth and width between the eyes makes him more intimidating than the others by far. Only seen him twice and both times he too was on the hoof before I could get near it. Only seen him on sun rise and when there has been no boat traffic so I guess it has remembered the days of hunting. Spooky piece of water there. He likes the deep bends upstream just before that little creek on the right as you are going upstream. The one with a sandy mouth and a pandanus tree in the front. The bend is full of snags and at least 6m deep with big steep banks. First thing in the morning with the mist rising off the water. Sends a shiver down the spine. :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :croc:
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Yep there was certainly a biggun at the top end of corroboree a while back ,maybe still there unless station people got sick of it eating there stock :P
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I have seen some big boys but never a 6mtr+ one.
At bamaga on cape York in the early 80s we were told of an 8mtr croc but a few years later it was shot and was only 5.6 mtrs or so.

We did get one on a station I worked on that went 17feet and was missing I recon a foot or two of tail!!!

That bugger was in a old buff wallow and we only found it because the chopper pilot seen him eating a steer..
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."