Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Post by NBN »

Hemi wrote:No worries!! I'll collect it..
Love to do my part in the eradication of the snapping handbag!

And nah.. No shares in croc cove ..
That's a f...ked up place isn't it??
On one hand they are all Save, protect, hug a tree... Etc etc..
On the other hand, get in our shop and buy a belt, buy a skull.. Kill, kill,kill..

The territory is a top place! Aren't crocs lucky they are worth something!!
We wouldn't even have these arguments if they weren't!!! ;)
Thx for clearing that up H, I was struggling to find any reference to Hemi on ASIC re: CC.

But you have been there?? Presumably not for the expensive hotdogs?

NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Croc expert here! Did you go to Uni mate and study crocs? You seem like a real edumicated bloke. I'd prefer to get my facts from blokes who did, like Tommy Nichols or Dr Graham Webb who both state that culling the big ones isn't the answer.

Also tough guy. Just a word of warning, the police could track you on this site via your IP address. So keep up the bravado and the threats of illegal activity and we'll see you in the clink.

Blah blah uni, blah blah scientists…you sound like Christine Milne.

Graham Webb actually supports trophy hunting and culling in limited numbers, he has been one of the main protagonists for a limited cull for a long time, which has surprised many people as he was instrumental in the introduction of the protection laws in 1971. And remember Mr Education that Dr Webb runs a crocodile farm that makes it trade from skins. If wide scale culling was introduced there goes that business, no crocs, no eggs to collect and your living off your door takings at the croc farm.

And Dr. Manolis is another, runs a croc farm, is a croc expert = against culling.

So no sh!t they don't support a cull.

As for Mr Nichols, he’s a Ranger for the Parks and Wildlife Commission it's his job to protect crocs.

Most of the croc experts against widespread culling are major stakeholders in the croc trade, so no in answer to your question I did not study crocodiles at university but I do have a basic grasp of economics.

People used to swim in the Top End when croc numbers were closer to 4000 than the 100,000+ they are at now. So do lower numbers mean safer waters, of course, don't need to be Einstein to work that out do we?

PS: I'm not too bothered about my IP address being available to the fuzz either, section 29(1) of the Criminal Code “Defensive conduct” is a full and complete defence in circumstances where one needs to defend one’s self. I did learn that at uni sweetheart (pardon the pun). xx :hunting:
balthasar832
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by balthasar832 »

I think it's very unfair that someone always blames the animals first. Everyone know's that the rule of thumb is NOT to get into croc infested water and there is signs on both sides of the river that there are crocodiles in the water. And despite the fact they they are Vietnamese (and farmers) and most likely don't understand English fluently, I can assure you that their (Vietnamese) community is well aware of the dangers of fishing in that same spot of the river where this man was taken. And that's because it is a very well known spot that the Vietnamese go to catch Powertail.

The time before (and my condolences once again the the family who lost their family member), that attack was on a nice guy who had done something he shouldn't have while in a boat of a croc infested water.
And the time before that was someone swimming across a croc infested river (and damn do I miss his as a friend).

When will we stop blaming the croc's and start looking at control management rather than instantly talking about culling?
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

balthasar832 wrote:I think it's very unfair that someone always blames the animals first. Everyone know's that the rule of thumb is NOT to get into croc infested water and there is signs on both sides of the river that there are crocodiles in the water. And despite the fact they they are Vietnamese (and farmers) and most likely don't understand English fluently, I can assure you that their (Vietnamese) community is well aware of the dangers of fishing in that same spot of the river where this man was taken. And that's because it is a very well known spot that the Vietnamese go to catch Powertail.

The time before (and my condolences once again the the family who lost their family member), that attack was on a nice guy who had done something he shouldn't have while in a boat of a croc infested water.
And the time before that was someone swimming across a croc infested river (and damn do I miss his as a friend).

When will we stop blaming the croc's and start looking at control management rather than instantly talking about culling?
Culling is control management.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Bazza Silver
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bazza Silver »

that attack was on a nice guy who had done something he shouldn't have while in a boat of a croc infested water.
And the time before that was someone swimming across a croc infested river.
Thanks for the croc attack chronology Rainman. But can I ask, what the hell was the guy doing in a boat of croc infested water?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

balthasar832 wrote:

Would you please enlighten us all as to what he was doing wrong, are you trying to say we shouldn't go in a boat where crocs are. I would agree with you about every attack that has happened apart from this one, this croc broke the rules soto speak IMO
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

dirtyruiz you've got my vote mate 8) 8)
Cheers

Sy
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

mickkk wrote:
balthasar832 wrote:

Would you please enlighten us all as to what he was doing wrong, are you trying to say we shouldn't go in a boat where crocs are. I would agree with you about every attack that has happened apart from this one, this croc broke the rules soto speak IMO

Mickkk, I'm with you sorta... IMO there are too many people on this forum that get taken out of context and as such bring on a world of hurt upon themselves from other FFF members... Fishing up here is one of those things where we all take calculated risks pretty much every trip. Crocs are pretty much everywhere. I'd say that pretty much every switched on local when they see water thinks, "could be a croc in there (spare a glass of water and the bathtub - Humpty Doo line and further may differ :D ). Unfortunately people (myself included) become complacent and put ourselves at risk, even if it is marginally... I mean when was the last time you leaned over the gunnel of your boat to retrieve a lure, to grab onto another boats rail, to push off a sandbar or tree, in the water to launch / retrieve a boat, etc... All potentially dangerous... We all take calculated risks up here... The risk increases every year with the growing numbers of crocs unfortunately.

I'm for managed professional culling... No yahoos (sorry to those gunslingers out there that want a trophy), and more jobs in the Territory! IMO...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...