Croc takes man from boat

Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Croc takes man from boat

Post by Melv »

Terrible news, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer bloke anywhere. Condolences to the Scott family. RIP mate.

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Rug wrote:
mickkk wrote:This is an extremely scary and tragic stituation. I think everyone should imagine that it was their family member that this has happened to before making flipand and insentisave comments. The poor family must have felt soo helpless and clueless as to what to do, I don't think I could imagine a worse stituation. I do think they were lucky (if you could call it that) that their boat didn't capsize (again I'm only going off what little info has been made public) and there have been an even worse outcome.

I think the greenies blowing up on social media (not so much on here but come of the comments of different media stores in FB have been very inappropriate) about the two offending crocs that were shot really need to give them self an uppercut. For the family to have some closure, and to retrieve the remains. Not to mention that there is a croc that has evolved enought to work out it should not show fear of boats but stalk them as they carry food.

For me this is a game changer. Every croc attack that I have heard of to date I could put down to the human taking risky behaviour (generally swimming) but by all reports this man has not done anything I would not have, not to mention put my kids in the same situation. And this has totally changed everything for me.

Will I stop fishing, no. Will I stop taking my kids out no. But I will change my behaviour, greatly.
I don't think a cull will solve the problem unless we wipe the total population out and I don't think the human race have the right to make a decision to wipe out an entire species (again). We must change out behaviour to reduce the risk.

Personally I will be setting up a deck wash off my live bait tank to reduce the amount of times I have limbs outside the boat. I will also make sure I have a potty/ bucket on the boat every time I take the kids out, no more little bums hanging over the boat (I generally do this but forgot on my last trip upstream on the daily and now can't help think what could have happened) I also will be modifying my trailer to reduce the time at waters edge launching / retrieving my boat (to date I have been telling myself that no one has ever been taken whilst retrieving their boat but as I said the game has changed and I don't want to be the first).

As it stands this is unfortunately just a tragic freak accident. Even know I have never met this man (as far as I know) I will think of him everytime I'm on the water. My thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and friends.
Mickey Barratt
That is by far the most sensible post in this entire thread.
After the media released his name today I realised I am good friends with bills son. I have never met him, but if he was 1/2 the man his son is the world will be poorer for his passing. Being a true "local" there will be a lot of territorians hurting and morning his loss.

I also note in today's article that the family wanted it to be clear that he was not leaning over the edge of the boat cleaning a bucket, but just standing at the back of his mored tinny.

Rip Bill Scott
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I also note in today's article that the family wanted it to be clear that he was not leaning over the edge of the boat cleaning a bucket, but just standing at the back of his moored tinny.
I would like to see clarification from the police as to whether Mr Scott was standing at the back of his boat in the water, or was he actually in the boat?

There is a big difference.

Given the implications for tourism, fishing morale and the crocodile population itself, this should be made clear.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Hi Matt

100% standing in his boat. And for what its worth I think the boat is 3.7M so not tiny by any means.
It is a game changer in my eye's. I am just going to go bluewater fishing from now on..... no crocs at Flat top.
I can say one thing with certainty though if it had have happened to someone else it wouldn't have stopped Scotty going fishing.

Ghound
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks ghound.
Now that Ive seen the photos of Bill, I have seen him around a few times
it wont stop me fishing either but Ive had a rethink about some of the things i do (used to do)
A 3.7 m tinny probably has the same freeboard as some of those bass boats that get around.
NTFisho
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by NTFisho »

nomad wrote:Thanks ghound.
A 3.7 m tinny probably has the same freeboard as some of those bass boats that get around.
a fair bit more I would reckon actually.
76Tourer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by 76Tourer »

Hi Matt sent you a PM re: this thread

Cheers
76Tourer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by 76Tourer »

Coronial inquest set for 7th of September, so this will come back up soonish .

Not a lot has changed since policy was put in place in the 70's ...... except the croc population