NT rangers on the water

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: NT rangers on the water

Post by nomad »

jeffish wrote:Rangers with photographic evidence of you doing bad shiit will win the case as they are trained correctly in how to gather the evidence , unlike the dicks that couldn't find a fingerprint inside the alegged stolen car.
G’day Jeff
poop, I’m not making my point very well am I?
As I said before, they don’t have the authorised powers they need at this point.

Yes, they have powers to take photos of someone doing the wrong thing and giving that as evidence in court. (everyone has that same power)
BUT, before any court case can get started, they will have to put a name on the actual prosecution paperwork. SOMEONE will have to be named in the case. They will have to actually identify exactly who that person is before they can go to court. They cant just say an old fat white bloke in a 5m white tinny. Doesn’t work like that
Currently they have no powers to stop your boat, or detain you for the purpose of asking questions there is no way of identifying the boat etc etc.
They have no legal way of finding out just who that person is – unless they know them personally.
They need to be given the appropriate power or they will fall at the first hurdle

so back to your original point, they haven't been trained or given the powers to gather evidence other than taking photos (which everyone is allowed to do).

The ‘funny’ thing about the stolen carts is that the TRG actually saw them driving the damaged car around at 4am and followed them - they knew who it was. The crooks just floored the car and bolted – the cops aren’t allowed to chase cars without permission, they weren’t given that permission (they were in the bearcat)
Just another one of the poop laws we have here.

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

nomad wrote:
The ‘funny’ thing about the stolen carts is that the TRG actually saw them driving the damaged car around at 4am and followed them - they knew who it was. The crooks just floored the car and bolted – the cops aren’t allowed to chase cars without permission, they weren’t given that permission (they were in the bearcat)
Just another one of the poop laws we have here.
Similar issue with a stolen quad bike, coppers couldn't give chase as the culprits were not wearing helmets. Fair enough I took their point, if someone fell off and injured themselves imagine the political mileage that could and would be made out of it.

I resolved to sort it myself, it's a small town. An opportunity arose a few days later so I took it to ask nicely for my bike back. There was some difference of views but the bike is back where it should be and I lost a bit of skin. The culprits got an extra six months on top of other charges pending. Job done with little fuss, good outcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Dick
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Glad it worked out for you -

Like the cops told me later, its only a couple of stolen cars. we are flat out dealing with murders and serious assaults.
sort of brings things into perspective.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

nomad wrote:Glad it worked out for you -

Like the cops told me later, its only a couple of stolen cars. we are flat out dealing with murders and serious assaults.
sort of brings things into perspective.
Yep that's right, limited resources, budget cuts, constricting regulations, its a wonder they can operate effectively at all. Not many people understand that though and expect to be prioritised to the top of the list on the assumption they pay their taxes and expect that sort of service. Coppers are the meat between the sandwich :(

But back to the initial post, as you said once and if they get what they need they may well be able to plug some of the gaps.
Regards Dick
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I can never understand why anyone would become a copper. they must know that they are always going to be dealing with the poop of the gene pool everyday.

I couldn't do it.