Golden snapper bust

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Golden snapper bust

Post by cuddlescooper »

AM has left the Territory so the bag limits aren't required any more! lol

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Golden snapper bust

Post by dannett »

This is pretty disappointing all round whether you agree with the limits or not. Even if they were within they're bag limit this haul would have likely come from a relatively small school of juvenile fish that have slim odds of reaching maturity even without our interaction. This kind of action is not sustainable fishing by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think the current bag limit is quite right though. If there is one or two people in the boat the limit is a bit low and easy to trip over leaving you with the dilemma of throwing back dead fish. If this were raised to 5 per person and a boat limit of just 10 this would prevent such problems occurring. If you have your total boat limit of 10 you should be pretty happy and pulling your anchor to go do something different should't be a big deal. If the first few fish are small you have a much better window of opportunity to move about the area before accidentally bagging out.

This would be a great compromise and I think would be a win for both sustainability and common sense. I think it would be great if we could have a system where we can compromise on limits in years of repeat El Nino for a greater share in La Nina years.