where to buy my engel?

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: where to buy my engel?

Post by Basstad »

If you need something ultra reliable and don't mind forking out the cash for it have a look at a Trailblazer....
We have had one for years and has not missed a beat.........minus 17 is its best effort......tuff as nails no nonsense brick dunny fridge/freezer.
Built to last and made in Oz.

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

If you need something ultra reliable and don't mind forking out the cash for it have a look at a Trailblazer....
We have had one for years and has not missed a beat.........minus 17 is its best effort......tuff as nails no nonsense brick dunny fridge/freezer.
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

Basstad wrote:If you need something ultra reliable and don't mind forking out the cash for it have a look at a Trailblazer....
x2

S##t over waeco and Engel

Mates dad has had his for 20 years, still going strong. Goes up to Cape York hunting/fishing each year, and takes it with him everywhere, no issues.

http://www.norcoast.com.au/
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hello Bear

The old saying that the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten seems appropriate with yr old Waeco.

There are a number of good ones around that don;t seem to the same bad reports. Engel, Trailblazer etc.

I have an Engel. I had to balance its capacity against its weight when full. So I bought a 45 litre one. 60l would have been nice but I woulldn't have been able to lift the bl..dy thing when full (the freezer not me).

Your requirements are probably a bit different.

If I was buying a fridge up to 45-50 litres I'b buy another Engel.

Anything bigger and I'd buy a National Lunar (South African). Costs more but I think the value's there.
Regards
Ronje
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

Mr RiverBabe wrote:Mate got one locally and it came with a good quality telescopic barra rod. Great deal i reckon
Helpful mate. Care to share where this 'great deal' was from?
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by XXtreme »

I've had a 39L Engel since 1995, goes great guns, it has travelled a lot of miles, cooled plenty of food & beer. The only trouble I have had is that the Power LED on top of th unit blew, for some unknown reason this LED provides a current path for the compressor circuit as opposed to just an indication. A new board was approx $200 from Engel but replacement LEDs from Tricky Dickies were about 30 cents. A bit of electronics nouse and a soldering iron and the fridge was repaired - I keep spare LED's and a butane soldering iron in my toolkit just in case this ever happens again.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jasonmcc »

My Waeco is still running strong. Its the CF80 and its been in my Patrol for 7 years.
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

This is mostly all off track as Bear wanted to to know where to buy and not what to buy.
But for my 2 cents worth, and I know they are dearer than the others but the Explorer with the danforth compressor, 2 seperate compartments, lids, and thermostats for freezer,it is a ripper. The 95liter one I have is still going strong, bought it in 2002 had one drama which was sorted here in Darwin $100 bucks 2 years ago. When I say 2002, let be clear it has been running the whole time ! ( three differnt landcruisers under it in those years). Would buy another in a heart beat if it dies, plus can veiw for sale here in Darwin on Stuart Hwy.
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

the best I know of is Johnnies Electronics in Katherine , get the best price you can find and then go see Johnny he will better it.
That was his policy not sure if he has changed it at all. Only a phone call anyway just to find out.

I bought my 40L Engel in 1989 ,its the older model ,yellow and cream , no plastic on the out side .
Damn thing still goes , lid is a bit buggered from some dick parking thier arse on it ,but it still goes ok.

Damn remember the days when you could get a 60l Engel from Kmart in Darwin for about 600 .. them days is long gone.

Kev
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
bouch
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bouch »

Murray Oakley will do u a good deal on engel.
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

bouch wrote:Murray Oakley will do u a good deal on engel.
My boss bought a 60ltr from there friday, he said fridge and a few extras $200 cheaper than next best quote.
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

XMD Walker check your PM's mate!