victoria river/big horse creek

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

victoria river/big horse creek

Post by itsinmeblood »

well have been offered a job in Darwin and accepted but time restraints mean my original plans of taking my time and going through the gulf have gone out the window :| next plan is up the middle with a detour out to the vic river for a few days camping at big horse creek...i'm wondering what tides are best or if tides matter that far upstream...or if it's even worth doing at this time of year :-? looks like i'll be going through that way in about 4 or 5 weeks time feel free to suggest alternate ideas if you were doing the same drive :mrgreen:

fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

The vic great river.

Post by fff1964 »

I have only fished the Vic afew times, but love it. have gone down as far as the mouth of the Baines, Camping at growlers rock bar near the Crusafix tree. Althoug not hugley successfull have caught a few barra and black jew, iwould go again tomorrow. well worth the trip just for the scenery.

Cheers
The fish finder book has it sussed pretty much.
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Big Horse Creek will be full of No mads passing through for the night, it is a busy little camp ground at that time of year. But you should have the river to yourself except for the odd local. I think you may struggle to snag a barra at that time of year, but it is tough anywhere at this time of year. It is mainly a trolling or live baiting river as not much to flick at, if that is what you are into. Very scenic though and a nice spot to camp.

What a bout hitting somewhere in the Gulf around Boorooloola or something :-? not that I have been there.

Dingo
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

i've got a 2 week trip quad biking along the beach between the border and the calvert in oct already planned :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i'll only have a week to get to darwin from mackay new employer is picking up the fuel tab but it might be a bit hard to explain borroloola on the receipts i reckon i'll give the vic a look...haven't seen it before and if i'm going right by it's too good an opportunity to pass up, love the nomads...always feel less stressed leaving the car trailer and all my belongings parked amongst em for a day i have the fishfinder book and have google earthed it to pieces but it's always better hearing about it from people that have been there before :mrgreen:
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

go the Vic! you may never get another chance.
maca_80
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: victoria river/big horse creek

Post by maca_80 »

Going fishing at vic river near the vic river road house for the first time anyone know a good spot in the area this time of year
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: victoria river/big horse creek

Post by itsinmeblood »

I stopped at the roadhouse for a feed on my way through...plenty of pics of fish on the walls there you could do worse than giving them a buzz or poking your head in for a coldie and a feed and ask for a heads up on what's going on :cheers: