Tent advice

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Tent advice

Post by fff1964 »

Looking for a tent for a family of four, easy set up solid in bad weather the usual stuff.
Any advice or ones to steer clear of.

Thanks fff1964

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Tent advice

Post by nomad »

I've had a lot of tents over the years. thequickest and best by far are the square ‘touring’ type ones. Just bang a peg in each corner and then lift the lot using the centre pole. Less than 2 minutes. Up north, use the thin walled type as they do get hot. (but you shouldn’t be in there while the sun is shining :D
The lightweight ones with external flexi polesca be a pain to set up in a hurry - but they are roomier
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

The GeoDesic design is easy to set up and stand up to alot of weather are small and compact and easy to throw in the boat or car, look for Black Wolf or Diamantina , Oztrail are cheaper but still OK quality.

If you have the $$$$ the Oztent RV series are bullet proof and set up very quickly! You dont get much change out of $1000 though!

http://au.oztent.com/

With tents the old saying cant be truer you get what you pay for! :mrgreen:

Damo
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

just recently someone on here had an oztent (canvas) for sale,they arnt cheap but easy to set up & last a lifetime,check the f/sales maybe still there :mrgreen: . I have a tanamai tourer which are canvas & 3mtrs sq. with centre ploe & plenty of big mesh windows for ventilation but up round a grand to buy
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Thanks guys good start
Will get looking now.
baino
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by baino »

I have an oztrail tourer that is canvas ,set up takes a couple of minutes, but i got the side pole kit which is awesome with no pole in the guts of the tent.Means you can fit a queen size air mattress in it no dramas . And i can stand up in it ( im 6ft 4)About $300 when i got it 4 years ago still going strong and it has been in some nasty top end storms too
"I would rather cut off my own ding-dong than admit alcohol is not food" William Murderface-Metalocalypse
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

As Max said a Oztent is for sale in the classifieds!

Jules 74 is selling the Oztent heres the link or have a look in the general advertising section on the Board! :mrgreen:

http://fishingterritory.com/general-cla ... 25280.html

Damo
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

nomad wrote:I've had a lot of tents over the years. thequickest and best by far are the square ‘touring’ type ones. Just bang a peg in each corner and then lift the lot using the centre pole. Less than 2 minutes. Up north, use the thin walled type as they do get hot. (but you shouldn’t be in there while the sun is shining :D
The lightweight ones with external flexi polesca be a pain to set up in a hurry - but they are roomier
I agree, mines got the twin pole kit so you can have a double bed in it. if you've got a family of 4 get 2, as said easiest to set up IMHO.

:cheers: :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

a couple of mozzie domes and a big tarp if the weather gets bad is the way to go!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah mines got the double poles as well
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

Turbo tent 300.
Great tent that is easy to set up (about 2 minutes max).
But they are pricey at a 1000 bucks but will last a lifetime
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

I trolled through these forums a few years ago and found there was a strong case for the mozzie dome with an ultra basic swag inside, and as Bear says keep a tarp in the ute just in case. Tried it out and have to say it works very well.
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

only one option for tents
Macpac
check them out
PM sent
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Yeah have the mozzie domes work a treat for camping from the boat they are great, looking more for the base camp style at a caravan park.
then doing the day trips more family comfort style.

Great advice guy's thanks.