Overnighting in tidal rivers

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
hully1969

Overnighting in tidal rivers

Post by hully1969 »

I'm after some advice. After years of fishing from a small tinnie, I've now got a boat with enough room to camp in up the rivers. what I would like to know is if anyone has any tips on anchoring in the tidal zone - ie anchor types and rope lengths, one anchor or two etc.
I dont want to wake up in the middle of the night with water up to my armpits or with the boat slamming against a tree. I just want to keep it in one place. Thoughts?

GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Overnighting in tidal rivers

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Long ropes to trees or snags at either end to avoid the tidal swing, long rope will allow for the rise and fall. Cyalume sticks on the rope are a good idea. Be cognisant of the current tidal stage when tying off to the tree, if you tie off to a point that is on the high water mark but still within reach at the low tide it will be good, big loops are good but they may get caught hence the long rope to the high water mark. Anchor alarm on the plotter is also a plus.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Overnighting in tidal rivers with a million midgies and mozzies...you may well be sucked dry and not in the nice way you think :naughty: :P :P
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by MattyA »

Hey mate

Have done a fair bit of it, especially on the Daly and down the Roper. Trust me - you will wake up enough times during the night to figure it out, drunk or not. Between other boats at all times, the tide swinging you around, barra boofing around the boat (but often not taking any flamin lure you chuck at em), mozzies and sandflies caning the p$ss out of you and the need to fish, you will be awake more than asleep.

Cheers

Matt
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Couldnt agree more with Matty.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

just be carefull if anchoring upstream wheres theres trees & steep drop offs under the boat its not a good feeling as the tide drops & your woken with a boat at 45 degrees,down around the mouth is always safer but if you want to be first on a good creek in the morn. just check it out & I dont give a rats how hard the barra boofing i dont get out from under the mozzie net :|
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

i always use a plough anchor and try and set up in a nice clean bit of water with no bottom structure to snag up on or get the boat hung up on. I take into account the amount of tide and allow enough rope to cover the rise of tide plus some. ie if a 7m tide rise I will let out that amount of rope x 3 + water depth.. I lift the leg of the outboard so the rope doesnt wrap around it on the tide swing and hold the stern into a flooding tide and risk being swamped. Setting an anchor alarm is a must on the GpS incase you drag. Take into account other boat traffic and try and anchor out of the main channels. just use common sense and take out as much danger as is possible.

I sleep in a tent on the floor of my boat. I make shaw I have a knife and torch beside my bed incase something did happen and I had to cut my way out of the tent or cut anchor lines or such.
hully1969

Post by hully1969 »

thanks for the tips. See you up the Adelaide sometime. Cheers.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

A backup to your gps alarm is a couple of heavy sinkers on a rod with the rachet on. Can drive you a bit nuts at the turn of the tide.