El questro help ???

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

El questro help ???

Post by ponyplay »

Hi , was just chaseing sum info on the area. Am heading over to broome this week with tool trailer in tow not the boat unfotunatly :banghead: . Any way my questions are

is it a oppption this time a year with such a set up [ towing tool trailer] ??

Is there any decent landbased fishing in area or maybe boat hire ??

Or from wat i read and hear fishing is just a bonus in this neck of the woods do it any how ??

Any info will be greatly appreciated, cheers curt :mrgreen:

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: El questro help ???

Post by Dick »

Um........to be clear, you're heading to Broome towing a trailer, going to take the Gibb River Rd. Stopping overnight at El Questro and want to know if you can get a fish in?

Pentecost River about 65 ks in off the Highway and a few ks past the El Questro turn off is a ripper spot at times. Personally I'd be tempted to stay at Home Valley Station, it's right on the river.

PS hope your trailer don't mind the odd kilometre of so of corregations, heard its a bit savage around the Kulumburu turn off ATM
Regards Dick
Chriso
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chriso »

Ponyplay,

It's acouple of years since I was there and the place is now run by a different mob, so don't know how useful my info will be.

When I was there they didn't let any petrol powered boats on the water, you had to hire one of their tinnies with an electric on the blunt end - pretty expensive too from what I remember. They did boat tours and used to feed some nice barra. I didn't know they were "pets" :angel: and was amazed when they came up to the back of the boat I'd hired. I proceeded to throw everything in the tackle box at them, but they were used to getting pillies and wouldn't touch a thing.

You can clamber around the rocks to access the water, but it could depend on the level of the river. Should be OK at this time of year.

You are right though, that the fishing is just a bonus. It's a great place to explore. :mrgreen:

Have a great time.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Dick wrote:Um........to be clear, you're heading to Broome towing a trailer, going to take the Gibb River Rd. Stopping overnight at El Questro and want to know if you can get a fish in?

Pentecost River about 65 ks in off the Highway and a few ks past the El Questro turn off is a ripper spot at times. Personally I'd be tempted to stay at Home Valley Station, it's right on the river.

PS hope your trailer don't mind the odd kilometre of so of corregations, heard its a bit savage around the Kulumburu turn off ATM
Na have no plans at all of doing gibb at all let alone with trailer , plan was a few nights at el questro then back track on to the bitch :D rest way
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Was watching an episode of Ifish recently that was shot at home valley station and it looked the goods but I cant remember how far down the Gibb it is.
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Maybe you could ditch the tool trailer at Kunubloodynurra somewhere for a couple of days while you head into the Gibb, as you are a big enough tool youself. :fu:

I remember them giving you a little map when you get to the place and it had a couple of spots for land based fishing. When I went on the Gibb, we wanted to go to Home Valley, but it had not opned after its renno's.

When do you leave Darwin or have you left already.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

leave at 14 oclock today dingo, you would be as happy as me with the footy this month. With not sighning up watson and all as ya coach :P
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

No worries, Good luck on your trip. Have fun and post up some reports. It must be hard to lave Darwin when Shoal Bay is about to fire, I think you should spend another week in the hornet before you leave the poor girl behind.

Hopefully Timmy can become Hirdys mentor or something.

If you dont get a fish at Elquestro ther is prob still a few swedish backpackers hanging around to keep you entertained anyway. :wink:

Good Luck
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Cheers mate, hopefully i can find sum drop bears :D . the last three days would of been gold out in the bay i thinks. But unfortunatlly it took me three days to clean the batch pad :banghead:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Forget it mate just stop in at the telegraph pool on the fitzroy.

Return to “Camping & 4WD”