Where do you get your arrows from?

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Where do you get your arrows from?

Post by Sconik »

Hi all,
Just wondering where all you bowhunters out there get your arrows from. Do you make them yourself, have them made to order or just buy off the shelf? My last 2 dozen were made to my specifications from Lancaster archery in the states. Not a bad buy at $60US per dozen. ( although was better value when the Aussie dollar went .97 back when I ordered them :evil: :evil: ) Have noticed though that the fletching on some of them is starting to peel after only a few shots. Previous to that, I was never too fussy and always just bought ally pre-made arrows straight off the shelf. Much prefer the carbon shafts now and the precision and balance of custom made.
Went looking today to buy some off-the-shelf arrows for the young blokes compound but had no joy. Everything is too long and too heavy.

Would be great to get some feedback from tried and tested made to order arrows in Aus if possible.

:cheers:
Scotty

BTW . . . . great to see a little more activity starting to creep into this folder.

Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Scotty
mate i reckon Bear is your man for that department - I have seen them out at TE Tackle world at Coolalinga so it might be worth giving Shane Compain a ring as i know he is into a bit of bow hunting and will look after you.

Cheers
Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Arrows

Post by fishfanatic »

Sconik,
I have always bought all my arrow blanks from Abbey Archery in SA. Prices were always reasonable. Bought a dozen 75/95's in carbon shaft for about $60..that was before the Aus$ dropped though. Have never bought too many "made" arrows, too expensive. Plus doing it your self you learn so much.
I believe Qld also has Eagle Archery..they are supposed to be quite good by all the accounts I have heard (never bought from them myself though).
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Archery Mart SA, Great service go out of their way to help out.... I buy the Gold tip shafts and make them up myself.... Ask for a magazine that has all their cool little Bow hunting toys in it..... They even send it POD...
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Thanks guys, some good info there. :mrgreen: Will check 'em out. Have been thinking about getting into making my own for a while now. Will have to get myself a fletching jig.

Scotty
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Thanks guys, some good info there. :mrgreen: Will check 'em out. Have been thinking about getting into making my own for a while now. Will have to get myself a fletching jig.

Scotty
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

whomper37 wrote:Archery Mart SA, Great service go out of their way to help out.... I buy the Gold tip shafts and make them up myself.... Ask for a magazine that has all their cool little Bow hunting toys in it..... They even send it POD...
i use these guys as well, just buy bare shafts and make em up myself using an arizona easy flecth :mrgreen:
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

I use Archery Mart as well, got my whole set-up from them, i think the fellas name is Brian, very keen to help and the service is second to none. I use the Gold Tip carbon shafts as well, never had a problem with them aside from picking up the off banksia flower! :o)
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Yep, was checking out the Archery Mart website this morning. They look quite well priced too. I'm using Gold Tip made to order carbon shafts at the moment and am pretty happy with them. Have heard good things about the bitzenburger jigs. You guys using single or multi arrow jigs? Would have thought that only being able to do one arrow at a time would be frustrating.

Myst,
Which gold tip shafts are you using? I've got two different weight Ultralight Entrada's. Very fast but probably a bit light for anything bigger than a good boar. Will need to beef up a bit for the likes of buff. Which, I might add . . . . I'm extremely keen to nail one!!

:drinking1:
Scotty
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

Hey Scotty, at the moment i'm using the Gold Tip Hunters, they're a bit more nuggetty than some of the other ones, can take some knocking around and just flex instead of shatter. They seem to have more hitting power than some of the lighter ones i've used, and unless youre shooting uber long distances the weight isnt really an issue. Have them paired up with the Tusker 125g broadheads, will punch straight through a pigs chest at 25m, and is a real good shaft for Banksias! :rofl:
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....

Return to “Hunter”