Range finders

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Range finders

Post by nagz »

Hey guys
I'm pretty new to bow hunting, only got my bow a couple months ago and shot it for the first time just recently
I was wondering if you bow hunters use range finders?
I've been thinking about getting a bushnell yardage pro but dunno if it'll get much use
I'm thinking it will until I get my eye in and estimate distances more accurately
What do yas reckon? And where would be a good place to pick one up cheap if possible?
Cheers

When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
bhawkless89
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Range finders

Post by bhawkless89 »

Gday mate i have only been bowhunting for a short time, i have and use a bushnell arc 1200. worth it weight in gold if you ask me. when your stalking an animal, your blood starts pumping and im sure you'll do the same i did and overestimated the range on a good pig and missed, i thought i had it rite but nope i was wrong. if i had just taken the rangefinder out of my pocket, pushed the button then used the correct range pin the board would be on my wall by now.

RRP in Aust is about $550-600
Skipper of SCOREd
Suzuki DF115
4.5m Aqua Rat Punt
"Punts with Grunt"
jtf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jtf »

Hey mate, I use a rangefinder when I go out and shoot the bow. I use a redfield rangefinder. It only comes in yards whilst some of the more expensive ones come in both yards and meters. If you can estimate the distance then good on ya. If you are bowhunting the chances are, you will have the time to use the rangefinder. No guess work means a cleaner quicker kil. I picked mine up on ebay, if you are willing to wait. Give us a PM and I will help you any way I can.

cheers
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Mate if you need to use a range finder you have not stalked close enough to your quarry
I practice my shots at 15 and 25 yards bare bow
Your bow should shoot flat over that distance
The secret to bow hunting is in the stalk,dont be seen ,dont be heard and dont be smelt
Pigs are the easiest quarry and a must for beginners
Wait until he's got his head down feeding and tail wagging before you move in ,stop every time he puts his head up and wait for him to start feeding again
When you get good at the stalk you can actually kick the b@st@rds
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Ive used them when deer hunting long distance (200m) with a rifle. Makes it easier to get the right entry point for the bullet.
never seen them used in bow hunting.
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

thanks for the advice fellas

i reckon i'll practice my stalking for a bit, maybe take a few hairy things (hopefully) and get my nerves under control if the chance comes up

prob have a look at a range finder when everything else is sorted out

might turn out i wont need one if my judgment gets good enuff

cheers
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

Shannon, have three for sale at the moment, a Nikon ProSport 600, and two Simmons LRF 600's - no angle compensation but i never use the ARC. TBR on my Leupold up here because its so flat. The Nikon is used but 9/10 - $175 and the Simmons are brand new in the packets, $130 ea. Give us a PM if youre interested.
Cheers
Alan
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

oops, should have added, even bowhunting i use my Leupodl regularly just to confirm ranges to target. Its in my best interest to ensure a quick knock-down and the animals best interest so i dont lift or drop a shot into a non-vital area. Ranges under 25 are easy to figure out, longer than that and a lack of experience and a rangefinder can be a great help.
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

Yeah Nagz you certainly need to practice your stalk. begin by not wearing a bright blue shirt hahaha.
The ones who fight for their beliefs are those who achieve their dreams.

Can we just take the warning stickers off everything and let natural selection take its place, I mean if its spinning fast dont put your fingers in it..... Its not hard

ARTE ET MARTE
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Davey D wrote:not wearing a bright blue shirt
I thought only deer could see blue colours?
didnt know piggies could as well :applause:
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nagz »

Lol
Maybe a blue shirt and my camo shorts was intentional, so I could blend into the horizon :)
Or I just plain thought I'd be zeroing my bow and crossbow for the first time aye :)