New Bow Blooded

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Fishmad1
Seadog
Seadog

New Bow Blooded

Post by Fishmad1 »

Myst and myself thought that it would be a better time than any to try and get out to our spot and see if we could assist in eliminating some of the ferals,

The morning started quite slow, we done a lap of a spot that showed some promise last week, where Myst was able to bag himself a nice sow (whole other story for Myst to write about).

Unfortunately, this spot was really quiet Except on the return leg Myst almost stood on a snake, we were not totally sure what it was, but it was black and lucky for Myst it didn’t want to stay and play! :shock: . So we pushed on to a spot that we had seen some activity on previous occasions. The going was slow as its pretty close country and still quite wet, but the quad assisted a lot in saving our energy for the walk that usually occurs when we get to this area.

So here we were pushing our way into the spot, we finally came to this area that we decided to leave the quad and proceed on foot. No sooner had I turned off the quad, Myst had just dismounted the trusty steed, then we heard this noise, Myst said Bull, but just after he said that we heard some solid sounding grunts, Myst and my eyes met and we both broke into a smile. Even before I was able to get off the Quad about 25m to our front I saw the tell tale black back of a pig, I done a quick low hiss to Myst that we both use to get each other’s attention. I motioned to the direction of where I had seen the black shape and mouthed pig, then again as we were both looking in the direction that I had indicated another black shape walked past. By this time I was trying to get off the quad as quickly but as quietly as possible, I was able to get my release aid off my packs Velcro with out to much noise, grabbed the bow and we started making the ever so slow stalk in to get a better look.

By the time we had got to a better vantage point, a few more smaller pigs had passed, I had myself propped behind a tree and began to take a bead on a nice young looking pig, I looked to my right where Myst was standing to see him motion to hold as there are another four coming our way including a nice looking one, we were unsure if it was a Boar or a Sow, but this thing was real healthy looking. This pig was intend ongoing Myst’s direction, so I was just happy to sit and watch the action unfold, then all of sudden it turned to its right and started coming across my front, I turned to Myst and mouthed "its mine" and then waited oh so patiently for it to pass the taller grass, I drew and settled my 20pin on the lovely heart lung area and then held for what felt like ages for a slightly better shot as it had just gone behind a smallish tree and I wanted the perfect broadside shot, the pig took two more steps then it was now or never, I touched off the trigger on the release aid and watched my arrow hit & disappear slightly right by about 3/4 of an inch of where I was aiming but I knew that it would have hit a lung if not both, with a lunge the pig trotted for about five metres than began to walk slowly, I watched as it disappeared through the taller grass to my left and then turned to Myst with a fist raised and pumped it, by now he knew that I was confident with the shot. Then we heard the ear piercing squeels of the pig as it was kicking out its last breaths. By this time we both knew that it would not be a very long walk to find my prize, with a grin from ear to ear we both turned to where the last of the pigs out of the mob were still slowly walking the same path as all of the other mob, unfortunately they would not present another shot for myself or Myst as the grass was just a bit too tall for a confident shot. So we let them be and proceeded to go though our routine of tracking, I had stuck one of my arrows into the ground and tilted it in the direction of where I took the shot.
Myst proceeded forward to start looking for any signs of blood, to both of our surprise there was very little blood to be found, so Myst continued walking in the direction that I had seen the pig walk, and within Two minutes I hear the call " got her" now I was really happy and we know knew that the pig was a sow and not a boar, She was taken with a double lung shot and only had smallish tusks but was in super condition. We set her up for some photos and then I realised that my camera was still in my pack attached to the quad, I looked up and seen the quad now no more than 60 meters from where the Sow lay, made going and getting it that much easier.

The rest of the day was pretty quiet for me, we continued on to a last spot, after about 200 meters we realised the day was getting on now, so I turned back to get the quad and Myst continued pushing on to see if he was able to get himself one for the day. We both Carry Uhf handhelds to keep in contact when we split up, I finally get back to quad and get this call over the Uhf, I have just started a pig, Bugger I thought, again I get another call within five minutes pigs! So I waited, five minutes later, I have lots of pigs, then about another ten minutes pass and I get the call that I was really not wanting, "I’ve been busted" it tunes out that Myst was able to stalk into the Middle of a mob of 16 pigs and one little sucker had came up behind him wanting to see what this big tree looking thing is, with a squeal all eyes were trained on the now very lonely Myst, with a flash they had all disappeared..

So I fired up the quad and proceeded to make my way to his position, after about another Ten minutes I get another call, “I have two more pigs”, by this stage I am far enough away to continue to push on with the quad, after another five minutes I get the call to say that he had hit one in the shoulder, and the penetration was not a good as he had hoped, So I continued to make my way to Myst’s position, I finally make it to see him still searching for blood signs, I get a quick brief on what had occurred and then he sends me in an outward direction to see if I can get some better sign up ahead. Unfortunately, the sign is sparse, we find some more smallish blood splatters but things were not looking good, light was starting to fade and unfortunately, we were unable to find the final resting place of Myst’s prize.
We got ourselves sorted and changed positions I would now to a bit of walking to see if I could come across any other pigs and Myst would ride for a bit. Sadly, we would not see any more pigs for the afternoon so made a beeline for the trusty Hilux and some nice cold aircon.

All in all great day out, with a great mate, I was able to get my Third pig and blood the new bow, It’s a shame Myst wasn’t able to claim his prize but hey, that hunting, and that why we love it, it’s a challenge and wouldn’t give it up for quids!
Thanks for Reading and hope you enjoy the pics, in the First pic you might still be able to make out the Quad in the background. :mrgreen:

Cheers! :cheers:

FM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Great Read mate well done :applause: :applause:

Makes me want to go and hunt some pigs myself. Just gotta get something bigger than my old man's .22 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Well done lads! :mrgreen: Great post. Kinda sucks you in to the whole experience. I assume this is your new property? sounds like you're in for a good season . . . . . . pigs galore!

I've been waiting for things to dry out a little more but reckon you may have fired me up for an early assault. Might have to dust the quad off next week and go for a wander! :hunting: :hunting: :hunting:

Cheers,
Scotty
Fishmad1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fishmad1 »

Sconik wrote:Well done lads! :mrgreen: Great post. Kinda sucks you in to the whole experience. I assume this is your new property? sounds like you're in for a good season . . . . . . pigs galore!

I've been waiting for things to dry out a little more but reckon you may have fired me up for an early assault. Might have to dust the quad off next week and go for a wander! :hunting: :hunting: :hunting:

Cheers,
Scotty
Hey scotty, yea this is the property Myst got access to, Its producing nicley :mrgreen:...

Yea i think you will be surprised how many are around :grin: we still havent seen any diecent boars :cry: Yet!

Cheers

FM
barraboss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barraboss »

mate, good read, made me feel like i was there. I havent been for a hunt in weeeeeeeeks. Been trying to knock this second last semester of my degree on the head. 2 weeks to go and im a free man for a few weeks, hope to get heaps of hunting in, few trips planned should be good.
Christopher Allen Wilson
Fishmad1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fishmad1 »

barraboss wrote:mate, good read, made me feel like i was there. I havent been for a hunt in weeeeeeeeks. Been trying to knock this second last semester of my degree on the head. 2 weeks to go and im a free man for a few weeks, hope to get heaps of hunting in, few trips planned should be good.
Thanks BB, Yea you can have Uni mate :lol: .... good on you for doing it.... can't motivate myself enough to study. :lol: hope you get out there soon and bag a few! :mrgreen:

Cheers

FM

Return to “Hunter”