Yamaha 60hp not charging.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Yamaha 60hp not charging.

Post by balou »

Hi folks ,

I recently wired dual sensing VSR to trickle charge the minn Kota battery down the front . Everything been running sweat for the last month , the VSR kicks on at 12.8 v . I usually trickle charge the front battery through an Anderson plug at home and in theory that should charge both batteries.

I noticed yesterday that the volt was blinking on my yammie gauge at 12v. It never struggle all day to crank over the motor but I notice the VSR never kicked in and the gauge never went higher then the 12.2 v even at 5000 revs.

After on google last night and reading couple of old Fff post . I put the multimeter across the batteries this morning.

The battery was 12.1v and dropped to 11.5 when I cranked the motor on. At idle the battery sat at 12.2 revs. Don't want to p..s the neighbours off for too long but at 3-3.5 it hit 12.6v but didn't want to go higher. It used to hit 13.5v at around 3.5 revs.

I put the meter across the rectifier output but could not find a reading. ( might be my dodgy old multimeter). The fuse from the rectifier was good , maybe there another fused I missed.

Your thoughts?

Google reckons it usually the rectifier but Im thinking if it goes up in revs it can't be .

Must have cranked over the motor 12 times yesterday and I'm assuming if it wasn't charging it be as dead as a door nail.

Anyone recommend anywhere online I can get a another rectifier.

Motor is f60a 2003 Yamaha .

Thanks

blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Yamaha 60hp not charging.

Post by blowski »

Sounds like rectifier similar issue with my seadoo jetski one yime
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

balou, you should not crank any motor above 2000 rpm whilst in neutral to avoid damage to the powerhead.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Rectifiers only change voltage from AC to DC. Probably the alternator if you can't see a rise in volts like you used too.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

mako wrote:balou, you should not crank any motor above 2000 rpm whilst in neutral to avoid damage to the powerhead.
Thanks for the heads up mate I didn't realise I could potentially be damaging my motor.

I found a brand new yammie rectifier from the sates for 150 landed which about half the price locally. Might just buy it and see what happens.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

hey balo, my rectifier died in the runoff this year, when it died i lost my taco so if you still have a taco Hombre might be on the right track.
I got my rectifirer from Boats.net.
Good luck

Cheers Bullet
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Bullet wrote:hey balo, my rectifier died in the runoff this year, when it died i lost my taco so if you still have a taco Hombre might be on the right track.
I got my rectifirer from Boats.net.
Good luck

Cheers Bullet
Interesting that your tachometer died but i don't think it the 60hp has an alternator.
Everything still works except for the blinking volt reading.
Every search I do online with blinking volt reading and voltage reading on increasing over 13v all have been resolved by replacing the rectifier.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Well took my boat out on Friday and guess what, stopped charging again, and lost tacho over 4500 rpm.
Have done bugger all hrs since I replaced the rectifier, the only diff now is it charges a little at low revs about 12.2 v is all I could get out of it.
We both have VSR's Balou, I wonder if this is the comon between the two. How long have you had your VSR hook up mate?

Cheers bullet
Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Hey mate, I only recently added a vsr to my charging system. I reckon I had about 3-4 trip before I notice that volts was not going higher then 12.6.

I reckon the motor doesn't put out enough to charge 2 batteries even though it only topping up the front deep cycle battery for the mk.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Hey Balou, Your OB charging system wont be putting out enough charge like you say. Ask the question on google and you will see that a few boat forums speak about the same issues you are having http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-rep ... rging-rate

Better off charging your batteries at home bud. The VSR system is good in the hilux with a duel battery system running a fridge but maybe not the boat. I have simply used a battery switch in the boat and i charge up all the batteries before a trip. Your idea on no alternator is right that OB has a stator system but still needs a rectifier to convert from AC to DC current. If you get a low voltage light then no tacho its a fault with the stator and rectifer most probably.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey Hombre,
Mine worked fine for over 2 years with the VSR punching out 14.2 volts @ 5800rpm. even on 3 day trips with a lot of Minn Kota use.
I'm wondering if the extra load of having to charge 2 bateries has taken its toll on the stator but saying that I don't have much running off the main battery, just a sounder so wouldn't take much draw.
Will have a read of the link above, Cheers.
Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

Are you guys using AGM batteries?
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Post by garrynt »

I have a yam 50heto and as far as I know (like balou's) has no altenator to charge only a rectifier. I need to charge at home.
It would always beep & blink after a night of trolling with 70watt led light on. (needed a 15 watt for slow trolling) and that helped.
Sounds like something is drawing too much than expected.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Im confused with all this. I thought the specs for the 4 stroke 50/60hp Yammy say 17Amp Alternator? The 80/100hp says 25Amp alternator. Are the specs calling it an alternator when it is something else? George may be able to help here?
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Either way what Bullet and Garrynt is saying sounds right, too much draw, not enough charge. 17 amps isnt much. An AGM Deep Cycle Battery for the Minn Kota really is a necessarity but have it fully charge before all trips. I run an AGM Deep Cycle for all electrics and a big heavy duty marine sucker to start the engine. When running over a long distance I charge both other wise I switch between. The VSR only kicks in to charge the 2nd battery once the fisrt has reached optimum volts. So this means if you are starting with a main starting battery which is low the 2nd Battery is going to have a bit of a wait to get some charge. 17amps.......you could pee more than that.