Yamaha 60hp not charging.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Yamaha 60hp not charging.

Post by balou »

My deep cycle up front and the standard marine is always on full charge before I head out through the home trickle charger. I reckon the rectifier has crapped itself cause because it constantly under load of the both batteries and working it ass off to top them up. 17amp doesn't sound a lot

Not sure weather I should completely remove the vsr setup before installing the new rectifier. At 220 a pop I'm not keen to fry another one.

My outboard is over 10 years so maybe the rectifier was just about clapped out.

maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Yep agree it's not a lot. Even with the 25amp alternator through a redarc charger I still need to charge batteries at home. Unless it's a very long trip. Had the 50hp previously and charging was fairly limited but still better than nothing on the week long trips still could use the minnkota. I saw those flash new etecs have 100amp alternators looks like the yanks have seen the demand with more electrics in boats nowadays.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey Balou, do ya want to try my rectifier to help diagnose the fault, like I said its all but new and very easy to pull on and off.
If it works we both have a win, you know you need a new rectifier and I know mine is ok! On the other hand if it stays the same we're still both in the dark lol.
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Bullet wrote:Hey Balou, do ya want to try my rectifier to help diagnose the fault, like I said its all but new and very easy to pull on and off.
If it works we both have a win, you know you need a new rectifier and I know mine is ok! On the other hand if it stays the same we're still both in the dark lol.
Haha I ordered one online so it be here any day.

I will plug it in to see if it will fix my problem , I'm happy to lend it to you to see if it will fix yours.
Better still if it doesn't fix my problem I have a rectifier for sale.

I read that if you have a rooted stator it will fry your rectifier fairly quick as well.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Haha I ordered one online so it be here any day.

I will plug it in to see if it will fix my problem , I'm happy to lend it to you to see if it will fix yours.
Better still if it doesn't fix my problem I have a rectifier for sale.

I read that if you have a rooted stator it will fry your rectifier fairly quick as well.[/quote]

Great ^^^^ might be my problem, I'm blowed if I can find any info on how to test a stator which is what i'm trying to do.

Good luck, let me know how ya go.
Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Rectifier arrived but didn't resolve my issue.

It's still running at 12v and not higher. I might be time to give it to someone who is qualified. I'm over this DIY BS :D
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

The specs on motors can cause a bit of confusion at times when they don't really explain what is meant.

Not all o/b engines have battery charging even if they have an alternator.

Be wary about alternator specs on outboard motors especially if they use the term like " 16A with rectifier regulator" as the specs on 60hp Yamaha does. That means its not a proper battery charging circuit.

The alternator might very well be capable of 16 amps but the regulator "regulates" the output to 12 v or what ever its set at. OK for running a light or some electronics but not for charging batteries properly.

Regulated outputs won't put much charge into a battery but may slow the rate at which it goes flat.

Best advice is to get onto the Yamaha people and find out just what that particular spec means on your motor.
Regards
Ronje
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Thanks for the info ronje, spoke to my mate who is a auto sparky and he gave me a few tips how to test the stator, firstly with the engine stopped disconnect the plug with 3 green wires that goes to stator and test the resistance between all the green wires, they should be consistant, mine was 1.7 ohms on all.
Next run the engine with the same plug still disconnected and test A/C volts between the three green, again should be even, mine all at approx 20 v AC.
With this plug disconnected you'll loose your tacho and charge which was what mine was doing but only at higher revs so I'm thinking my stator is breaking down at revs.
I pulled the fly wheel and had a look, some hot spots and some silicon melted also, will clean it up and run it again to see if any change.

Cheers bullet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Fine Bullet/Balou

This link is to a manual for a F60A 2003 Yamaha. You want page 25. I think the alternator spec is actually 10 amps.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/189889614/Yamaha-f60a-Supl

Good luck.
Regards
Ronje
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Cheers Ronje

Welcome back mate, your input is greatly appreciate on these topics.

Bullet I will check out the readings on my stator once I get my hands on another multimeter.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey Balu,

How did you go with this???

Did you discover what the fault was, mines still no good and I want to sort it out ready for the runoff.

If you still have the new rectifier would I be able to use it to test if it changes/fixes mine?

Cheers Bullet
Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

bullet that stator looks cooked bro , can you see the crack in the insulation ! also chek the magnets on the flywheel I know yammie did have an issue with them coming unclued from the fly wheel and touching the stator ?
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Bullet wrote:Hey Balu,

How did you go with this???

Did you discover what the fault was, mines still no good and I want to sort it out ready for the runoff.

If you still have the new rectifier would I be able to use it to test if it changes/fixes mine?

Cheers Bullet
As posted earlier the new rectifier made no difference , at idle the gauge showed 12.2v and sometimes 12.4v. I bought a brand new battery and without the motor it sits on 12 v.

Since changeing the battery my volt reading doesn't flash anymore on the gauge. At 4500-6000 rpm it sits on 12.8v .

I had a chat with deep black who reckon his volt reading on his 60 yammie is also around 12.8v at full revs.

My conclusion was that my battery was on its way out and the motor stator on the 60 hp only put out 12.8v. Since changing the battery everything is running fine.

I been to lazy to change back the rectifier to the original so I was just going to sell the used one on eBay.

You can burrow this one if you like.

Text me details on 0419806519
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey Balu,

12.8 still seams a bit low, especialy at WOT, my old 50hp sits at 14.2 before it sh!t itself.

Cheers for the offer mate, sent you a text.

Cheers bullet
Cheers Bullet

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Had a look at mine today(F50)while cruising around 5k and it sits on 14.7 and 13.9 at idle......and 13.6 in the battery not running.