NEW BOAT! What to pick?

BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

NEW BOAT! What to pick?

Post by BarneyRubble »

Heya all,
I will be selling the little tinny at the end of the year after the Alligator comp, I was after some ideas what to get next. I don't really want to spend to much but I do want a new vessel.
I need some pros and cons based on tiller and/or console.
The current boat I have is a console and a pain in the ass for the fishing I do ie. Billabong, runoff, and small creeks, its a pain in the ass spinning the wheel around so much.
I do like to venture out a bit specially up at Wiligi and Coburg and sometimes the mouth of the South and over to the East, yes having the console is great for out there but I do like to stick to the fresh water rather the salt.
I want something that still can handle a bit of chop and something that's rather stable and preferably a higher cast deck due to being a casting fanatic instead of on the traul.

Only want something between 4-4.8m

Some considerations:
Hornet Trophies (Tiller): for their stability and easy manoeuvrability, I have been in one and loved it!
Stacer Prolines (Tiller): Someone has told me they are a mirror image and welded in the safe factory as the Hornet!
Renegade (Tiller): IOBM are trying to sell these like crazy, this is what they have recommended due to me wanting to fish some blue water as well as the billabong stuff, have watched a few vids and it looks like they ride alright but was wondering what the stability is like moving around?
Seajay Ranger: Look very similar to the Renegade,
Stacer Assault Pro
Stacer Barra Elite

Dont know much about the last two so if anyone has been in either please comment.
80% of my fishing will be bong fishing and flicking and now and then venturing out a bit for some bottom bashing and trauling for the odd mackie.

ready... set.... go
Comment please, pros and cons and experience

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: NEW BOAT! What to pick?

Post by Matt Flynn »

The fact you do some bluewater means you have to choose a boat that will do it well, which almost rules out one of the above hull designs, IMO anyway.
Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

4.2 RENEGADE TILLER 60 YAMAHA 4 STROKE TILLER AROUND 20K FROM IOBM, WIDE BEAM HENCE QUITE STABLE.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I did a bit of research on fold away steering wheel when I was doing up my tiller steer.No console and all the gauges and electronic mounted on the side gunnel and the steering folded foward like a swinging gate. I rekon it was a brilliant idea at the time . It give us same fishing space as a tiller but comfort of a side console when doing the big runs. Ali fabricator could easily knock one up for any tinny. Best of both worlds.

Can't really go wrong with Quinny, Stacer or seajay. Just comes down to price and motor preference.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

BR, I've had 3 boats in the past 6 years. :banghead: Initially a 4.35m Hornet trophy with a 50 hp 4 stk tiller steer. Awesome boat that had great turning circle and great great stable handling in creeks, rivers and the harbour. Upgraded to the 4.45 hornet Trophy about three years later cause I got sick of having backwash coming over the transom, didn't happen often, but enough to make it annoying. 4.45 I upgraded to had a pod to stop the backwash and had a 60 4 stk and side console. I loved everything about this boat - stability, manoeuvrability, handling, storage, fuel capacity, great raised casting decks, low gunwhales and all the bells and whistles. It had enough deck space for two to three flicking in comfort and to sleep two in those over night fishing adventures. 8) Recent upgrade was more of a result of my young fella hitting a comfortable fishing age (5) wher he can now swim (sorta). Higher gunwhales was the main reason to keep the little tacka from falling overboard. I upgraded to a 5.1 TABS SC plate boat. This is an awesome boat and I'd like to think my last, giving me the option of both inshore and blue water fishing, handling great in both the chop and the swirl. :D IMO and experience, stick with the tiller, hydrolic lift and definitely a 4stk. I have had nothing but a yammie motor and they have been nothing less than powerful, reliable and economical - ticking all the boxes. :clap: Given your interests with mainly river fishing, the hornets are the way to go. I'd recommend the 445 to anyone, however they are restricted to mainly rivers and calm conditions in the harbour. The console option is a personal one. I got one to keep the missus happy and to give her the option of taking the controls one is a while. She ONCE took control of the tiller and drove us into the river bank. :| After that, SC was the only option. SC do take up space, but hey are handy for instruments and storage. Perhaps a top ender 475 will tick all the boxes you are looking for and gives you the option of both types of fishing... Good luck with your decision. :catch:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

When you go to wiligi, do you boat around or drive?
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

If it's in your budget go quintrex and Yamaha or Suzuki as they also have the best re sale value.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

Barney, just buy my searay and keep the Mrs happy!
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

COOPS wrote:When you go to wiligi, do you boat around or drive?
Hey mate, we normally just get a permit from Ruben and stay there so normally driving.
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Heya all, I have spoken to one of the big fishos out there in Jabbas. Have been fishing with him before and enjoyed the ride of his boat, anyone know anything about Makocraft? I know they are a branch from Stessl, and am seriously considering one. They look alot like the Hornet Trophies.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Lol not likely mate!!!! to small for the billabongs
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

barney the hornet trophies aren't good in the blue mate they are too nose heavy and u get jammed. something around 4.8-5m is good for both blue and rivers.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Mako raft - if they are anything like the hornet trophies, they will be a top boat... Just not made for the blue water. I've had both the 435 and the 445 hornet trophies and they are awesome! Best of luck with your buy.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...