boat/motor covers

keep it reel
Silver Member
Silver Member

boat/motor covers

Post by keep it reel »

What is the opinion of forum members on where to get the best boat / motor covers and what type? I previously had a vinyl type full cover but found that dust would get under the sides and rub like steel wool on the paint work, would the wings attached to the trailer be a better option and what is the costs and where can you have them fitted in Darwin area also motor splash covers are they worth it?

Thanks.

anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: boat/motor covers

Post by anyxcuse »

this my set up keep it reel. the photo was on a return trip from coburg. i have a mate that did my covers. by far the cheapast in town.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cunno »

got mine from seat city in Winnellie. Great job, fast turnaround and perfect fit - custom made (4.75m boat and 70hp) for $1k. Only complaint is that I agree with you re the vinyl tending to rub on the paintwork. It's not a major concern of mine, and the paint on the boat doesn't seem too fussed about it, but some areas of the motor look a little patchy.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah I agree that seat city do a great job
Ive had 2 full covers made for different boats over 3years.
great fit, easy to install, quick turn around time

Imnot a big fan of the engine covers on the water.
Xrapper
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Xrapper »

Imnot a big fan of the engine covers on the water.
How come?
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

I just run the spatts on the trailer and leave the boat uncovered, the dust insnt a problem i just get a build up on the transom of the boat and just hose it off with the deck wash, as far as the motor covers go,A MUST as the dust gets in every where. on the water i dont use a cover at all, i did on my last motor and if you didnt remove it after a trip, it would sweat between the cover and the motor and it blistered the paint work on the cowl. 4/ are quiet anyway, so thats not a problem as far as that goes..
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Xrapper wrote:How come?
wally gator wrote:i did on my last motor and if you didnt remove it after a trip, it would sweat between the cover and the motor and it blistered the paint work on the cowl. 4/ are quiet anyway, so thats not a problem as far as that goes..
plus i reckon they scratch anyway.
i look at it like this, im selling a rig with 1000 hrs on it so the whole thing should look like it has 1000 hrs.
they might have been ok with noisy 2 strokes
Biff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Biff »

Check out Occa outboard covers!
Cheers.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I got full covers for my six meter boat from seat city a month ago
Good workmanship and good price.
Get Jorge lay to do it and you be right
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

What's a ballpark figure price wise Balou? Need a new one for my535 TABS. Want to go full cover this time. Are they easy to put on and take off? I hate f@&king around with covers when I just want to go fishing/home!
keep it reel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by keep it reel »

Does anyone have experience with the wings that bolt onto the trailer to stop stone chips.
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

Keep it real,

I have the wings and a cover to stop the dust. Cover stops at gunnel, Stone gaurds work well just make sure you extend them to the wheel arch other wise the stones rebound of the wheel arch and strike the side of your boat above the arch. I have also put zippers into mine to allow better access when washing the boat down.
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

pm sent scott
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

NT Shade and Canvas did my cover, love it, no dust and simple design with no holes drilled in trailer. OCA cowling covers are the go, tight fitting, no dust gets up in them and no damage to paint. Just took mine off for the first time in a couple of years and the cowling looks mint. Expensive though.
cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cunno »

just got a cowling cover from the canopy man to go with the travel covers from seat city. Good price, custom made, tight fit, plenty of padding and soft lining to prevent scratching, and turnaround in 8 hrs. Interested to see how it goes given that there are some minor scuff and sunscreen marks on the cowling after only 70hrs use.