Shady Camp Overnighter Feb 3-4

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Shady Camp Overnighter Feb 3-4

Post by Queasy »

I saw Nika put a post up here late last week with an invite for a trip to Shady. Having never been there before I figured it would be a great opportunity to be shown around the place. After some initial umming and ahing over losing a day's work I thought bugger it, I came to the Territory for the barra fishing and have never had any regrets over going fishing, so I opted in on Friday night.
We headed off Sunday arvo aiming to arrive at the barrage for the last of the incoming tide and timed it very well. We trolled slowly down the first section until we were able to pick up speed and made more or less straight for the mouth of Sampan, stopping only to say hi to some locals:
Buff.jpg
But the weather was rather rough and the water very dirty, so we more or less headed straight back to near the barrage, stopping to inspect a few drains along the way, and bunkering down through an afternoon thunderstorm. We found a heap of mullet and trolled up and down through them for no luck:
Trolling.jpg
and all under the watchful eye of some big lazy critters:
Croc.jpg
We poked our nose in a creek for the night where there was a heap of bait, and while Nika cooked up a storm on the bbq, I cast fizzers about. One boof as the lure got to the boat was about as close as we got. So off to bed we went.

We were up around 5am, we'd drifted a little downstream overnight and into the main river. Not a big concern tho and we upped anchor and headed for the mouth again. It was much calmer and we trolled up and down a few times, waving at Deigs & co. (the only others there) each time we passed. But the water was still a bit dirty and again - no action.

So full throttle again on the 140hp and upstream we went. Never have I been with a skipper that would work so hard to find the fish. We tried many drains, found plenty of bait and some small barra working, but alas no strikes. By now it was getting on Monday lunchtime so we decided to head back up near the barrage, and perhaps put in on the fresh water side. As we appraoched the 2nd barrage, we saw a heap of tarpon working. Barra love tarpon. And tarpon also loved our lures. Tap tap tap, I wind in to check everything is ok with the lure, then just as I was letting it out again tap tap tap. I locked the spool and whizzzz, yay I'm on. The barra takes me line under the boat as I hadn't let the line out much when I hooked it up and Nika announces that its "only a little one" as it leaps out on his side of the boat and behind me. I say "are you sure?" as it continues to strip line from my reel thinking he means its a rat. Yeah, 60s he says. Well it certainly punched above its weight, and as Nika did a careful netting job on it we discovered it had demolished the gold bomber, with the bottom trebles it was hooked on becoming detached from the both the fish and the lure. All 3 items - fish, lure and bottom trebles were sitting there separately in the net. A close call! Anyway it measured 71cm, and was a delighful chromey.
71 Barra.jpg
A few more trolls through the tarpon but no more action, so we pulled out shortly after when there was enough water to do so and headed home. Thanks for the guided tour Nika!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp Overnighter Feb 3-4

Post by AM »

Nice story there, it sounds like it was well worth the day of with good company on the water.
gove tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gove tony »

Top story!
tony
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Nice post and lovely fish
Persistence pays off!
Cheers

Sy
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Top report Queezy........nice result too!!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

good job boys ,,good read ,,nice pics too,,cheers
Nika
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Nika »

It was a good trip and cheers on the post, it was a pleasure having you on board, ps, nice 60.
Nick
4WD, boats, beer, is there a theme here?
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Nice photos! At least you got a barracks, I haven't caught one in ages!
Queasy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Queasy »

theodosius wrote:Nice photos! At least you got a barracks, I haven't caught one in ages!
Yep, happy enough, as I hadn't caught one for 4 days before that - pulled a 57 out of the CBD in me first landbased fish in about 18 months after Trier suggested a spot last Thursday. Now I'm just showing off.....
rockviewau
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rockviewau »

Nice work Queasy!!!! bl..dy good fishy!!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great post - thanks for that.

Well done fellas,

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Great post
Like a fairy tale finished with a nice ending
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Tim, no more tips for you! Got to catch me a fish like that. Nice write up.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Bit better then our trip up the adelaide aye Tim. Good stuff

Sent from my GT-I5503T using Tapatalk 2
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Nice Barra Tim

Great write up as well as some good pics. One good thing about shady, there is always lots of wildlife to see!

Good skippering Nika, another happy deckie, great stuff!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!