You know you grew up in Darwin when....

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

Top thread,

Just out of interest when was the rocksitters club around and what was it all about?

grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

You start recognising some of the names in the Death Notices of the local rag. :idea: :idea:

Sad but true :uhh:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

If you were looking for someone on a weekend the baked bean wrestling at the Dolphin was as good a place as any. What about the sleazy motel alongside it. Mind you a 3 week stay in the Air Raid hotel was something else as well.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Hey Rossco forgot about the Dolphin. :drinking2: :drinking2:

Idee'Armin (spelling bad) was one of the bounchers, big local man. I can also remember getting the word while having a few at Nightcliff sports club one night that the Dolphin Hotel was under siege by a mad gunman firing shots into cars. Turned out to be my mates son.

Ah! the old Dolphin Hotel only memories now 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :drinking2: :drinking2:
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

I didn't see it in the previous posts so - don't forget about the 'Drive In ' movie site in Coconut Grove / Nightcliff. Gooorne !!!
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

rossco wrote:I didn't see it in the previous posts so - don't forget about the 'Drive In ' movie site in Coconut Grove / Nightcliff. Gooorne !!!
Yep
and in the same area, Right Price.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Mickfly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mickfly »

Did anyone mention salty plums, scoffing stringy terpentine tasting mangoes, trawlling flatout with handlines around the iron ore wharf, sitting around a back yard fire, no aircons, no TV, no carpets, no traffic lights. Jets that went thru the sound barrier.Bare feet.?
Oh & I remember the fog machine going up the street!
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Good to see some of you blokes come from the party animal era too.

The fogging machine!!! up and down the street in the evenings?????????? I remember it well I lived in a set of units in Duke Street Struart Park. I think we named the place "THE PARTY HOUSE".

Probably already said but some of the hangouts in those days were.

Beachcombers, Fannies, Dick's, Rage in the Cage (LIM's), Humpty Doo Pub, Noonie, The Don Bamboo Lounge the list goes on.

WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED HERE JASON McC :idea:

Keep it comin guys
noundz

Post by noundz »

.....you grew up in Darwin if you can remember the Katherine Roos getting kicked out of the footy comp for winning all the time 8-) :grin: :P
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

when you wake up under the old pandanus bush in the old BeachCombers carpark at 9am when the sprinklers came on. ith that Robert Palmers song still in your head, "addicted to love"
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Imagine the looks and abuse you would get these days if you took the 12 footer down to Dinah beach. Back down, take the tinny off the roof, bolt the donk on the transom, load the esky and tackle and then go and park the car. :rofl: :rofl: Sometimes you would have a mate to help, sometimes you had the young fella trying to help but getting in the way and sometimes you were on your own.

The sad thing is today you would get abused for creating a jam. :fubird: Back then a few of the other people waiting would help you out no questions asked. You would chuck them a couple of coldies their way for thier help. :drinking1:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

noundz wrote:.....you grew up in Darwin if you can remember the Katherine Roos getting kicked out of the footy comp for winning all the time 8-) :grin: :P
I was in under 14's for districts the year they entered the league, round 2 we went down to katherine by bus and beat them by 12 points. They were cheating pr..ks with 15 and 16 year olds playing in that division we found out later. Still beat them though, as we had now AFL stars Richard Tambling(Richmond), Anthony Corrie(brisbane lions, now collingwood), Jarred Brennan(brisbane lions) and half a dozen players who are in and out of the present thunder squad. We won the premiership that year also underfeated. Still got my old #7 cotton jumper.
Image Image
Jimstuch
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jimstuch »

meter_seeker wrote:
noundz wrote:.....you grew up in Darwin if you can remember the Katherine Roos getting kicked out of the footy comp for winning all the time 8-) :grin: :P
I was in under 14's for districts the year they entered the league, round 2 we went down to katherine by bus and beat them by 12 points. They were cheating pr..ks with 15 and 16 year olds playing in that division we found out later. Still beat them though, as we had now AFL stars Richard Tambling(Richmond), Anthony Corrie(brisbane lions, now collingwood), Jarred Brennan(brisbane lions) and half a dozen players who are in and out of the present thunder squad. We won the premiership that year also underfeated. Still got my old #7 cotton jumper.
Yep - played for Wanderers since I was a young fella and we too smashed Katherine every time we went down there (gee what a fun trip..) but not after them throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us.. dirty mongrels!!!

And yep MS I remember that year - you beat us in the grand final - but 2 years later we smashed you guys in the prelim final and went on to destroy buffs in the GF.. woot woot wanderers u/16 premiers 2000/01 lol...

and I also agree with whoever it was that mentioned salty plums, let alone dried mango, papaya, etc etc.. i seek that cr.p out wherever i go - sadly i've found better salties in adelaide now than in darwin??!!

love that i was born here, and the time away has only served to remind me how special it really is!
Cheers,
Stuch.
darbarra69
Gold Member
Gold Member

good old times

Post by darbarra69 »

Some more memoriesm. Dollar a drink at Joint nigth clubm what about the L-sharped pool table! Playing Pool at the Cool Spot, balls ended up on the Rd!!!! Drag Racing on the Strock Hill, a mate of mind end up in water! Diving off Strok hill after a nigth on the p..s! No one was using condoms inb those days!!! Had a 303 sitting behind my seat in old L/C. V8`s ruled the roads, even got bog going to Buff Creek, across water crossing in Dodge ute! Motor bike riding in Coconut Grovem " The Yankee Seconhand store" and his son...! Nino "the pizza man" driving his huge black 60`s American car !!!! $6000 for a house block in Palmo! only if we new!

I`ve been in Darwin from `71-79 and from `84-currently, born in 1969

Frank
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

As many of you may know, I have not been here for very long...
But I think that the first time that I came to Darwin, to meet the in laws, there was a night club called Times, and a pub called Tits and Prawns, or something like this...
But not sure of either, as every thing was new for me then.
There was also I think a place called the Petrochemical club or something like that...

But to be honest, my English was then terrible, and I may have misunderstood all of these names, and they could have been in my imagination only.

Has for salties Plums, the first time I saw some of them in was at the CDU (at the time NTU) canteen.

I remember also going to a party in an old hotel at the end of the Esplanade, in front of Government House.
The hotel is not there any more...

Just my two cents.
Have a good day,
Pecheur.