Fifth $10,000 barra caught

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Fifth $10,000 barra caught

Post by Matt Flynn »

Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fifth $10,000 barra caught

Post by Finatic2 »

Well I must admit its time for me to eat crow.
I was one of the naysayers that thought not one of these fish would be caught as the area was too vast and the numbers tagged were too small.
Going on the fisheries research that says less than 2% (give or take) of all tagged fish get recaptured I thought the whole thing was a massive con.
Anyway I stand corrected and hats off to the NT Gov for such a great PR exercise.
Congrats to those who have landed one of these little beauties.

:bow: :bow: :clap: :clap:
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Yep must admit I was in the same camp as you finatic2
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

CC made a good point about the tag recaptures and what it hints at re barra numbers, might not be as many baz in the harbour as people think, although certainly no shortage.

I still think they should stock Darwin River Dam regardless of whether people can fish in there, so that when it overflows a load of meteries end up in Middle Arm :)

Although the Gladstone experience wasn't all good, but that was exceptional ...
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

I'm still a bit sus on them telling you if your tagged barra was worth $10k or $1M. It would take the sting out of the competition if the $1M barra was caught in week one. If there is a real chance it could be caught then why not put the $10 k winners in a hat and draw out a $1M winner. Prize goes off ... Competition runs through to the end. Win win. Might have to read that article on the Fenton barra.

Stocking Darwin River dam makes perfect sense. It's absurd that they don't. Vic stocks over 3 million fish each year , NT stocks ..... Somewhere closer to zero. Is there any Barra in there at all. Can they get in during floods.
Burrum Heads
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Burrum Heads »

Hay CharFin I think you are one of the smart ones. I have been watching the Million Dollar fishing adds on tv. The adds are designed to get the punters in as a tourism gig, fair enough. but if you have any logical thinking at all the NT Government will not let the winning number be computer generated until the closing month otherwise why would you bother planning a special fishing trip if the million has gone off?

Then there are the locals trying their best to land a winner and those that do, of which there are 5 are then bolting off to claim the hopeful million, as I said earlier, catch a tagged barra, freeze it and produce the thing in the dying days to claim the million, you are always guaranteed 10K anyway............ its not rocket science.
IBOAT

Post by IBOAT »

Catch a tagged fish, ring it in but don't show or tell them the tag number until they tell you what it is for the that day.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Fish photo's have to be of an alive fish. Photo's will have dates and other data that will say when it was caught. May make it null and void.
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

See I think it is marketing exercise, meaning they don't expect people to go
"where should we holiday? I am thinking fiji"
"no, lets go to darwin and try to become millionaires by getting barra"

they do expect people to talk about it, it makes the news, it further brands "darwin" with "barra" (when they are all over northern Australia) and like most marketing the effects of it won't be directly measurable.
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails