Bynoe trip today

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bynoe trip today

Post by Daz12 »

Went for a run out to Bynoe today to do a bit of sight casting on the flats. Arrived at the ramp just after sun up, got out the car and was immediately bombarded by March Flies hitting my scone... :o Quickly threw the hat on and hastily launched, all the while being attacked by the little black heathens. It was quite entertaining watching the skipper trying to undo the shackle while being being ravaged through his shirt..... Motored around to the first spot of the day and had a few flicks for no result. Moved a bit further up the creek and Mark's first cast into the small mangroves resulted in his Gulp prawn being smashed by a nice fish. Heading straight for the mangroves it looked ominous but Mark managed to turn it and she headed out into open water. A few runs, a couple of head shakes and then she come up to the top and just cruised along for a few metres, back out, before exploding into a series of jumps. Result.....Barra one way....Gulp prawn the other...Shame, it would've been pushing 80.
IMG_4448.JPG
Spent the rest of the morning flicking any likely looking snake drains or gutters and picked up a couple of rats. All the while looking nervously over our shoulders at the large rumbling storm building up over Darwin.
IMG_4450.JPG
Turn of the tide seemed to be a little earlier than the charts said so we started working the gutters a bit more. There were plenty of prawns about and every now and then we could see them being smashed by Salmon. Slow rolling a little prawn along the bottom, a nice hit and an acrobatic Blue Salmon was soon brought to the boat. It wolfed down the prawn and ended up bleeding from the gills when de-hooking so into the ice box it went.
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG
I'd changed tact a bit and was wildly flicking a Reidy's Junior B52 around. On one such cast, as far as I could up a gutter, I reckon I landed it on a Threadies head....He had no choice but to eat it and another Salmon species was soon chilling nicely in the ice box.
IMG_4460.JPG
With the wind picking up, we headed back towards the boat ramp to try some calmer, cleaner water. Mark sticking with the Gulp prawn, me using a green/orange Gulp jerk shad. Mark hooked up, I had a little chuckle as I said "powertail" but was soon eating my words when a feisty little flathead come along side the boat.
IMG_4462.JPG
IMG_4463.JPG
We continued cruising along the banks, flicking at any small drains or likely looking spots we could see. One tiny drain had a row of small mangroves down one side of it. Perfect ambush spot. I had a cast and as soon as my jerk shad hit the water it was slammed by a nice little Jack. We had a couple more hits in this drain but unfortunately no more hook ups .
IMG_4464.JPG
By now the tide was high enough for a retrieve so we called it a day and headed back to the ramp. Luckily we avoided all the storms on the water but enjoyed a bit of a lightning show on the way home...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bynoe trip today

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Well done, nice trip.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done, great photos!
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great trip, I can't believe I haven't fished that system yet.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Good day on the water.....
No matter where you go, there you are!