Arnhem Highway Adelaide River Flooding Photos 6 Apr 11

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Arnhem Highway Adelaide River Flooding Photos 6 Apr 11

Post by doors off »

Took these photos on the way back from a job today. Photos were taken at about Midday today (6 APR). Quite a few cars stopped on the Kakadu side of the flood plains, not crossing.

The car in the photo was obviously very keen to get out to the East, snorkels will get a work out, and he was yet to hit the deepest part of the water. Hope he made it okay :|

The Adelaide is chockers :shock: Kai is OK, he popped out for a wave, so was good to see he was alright. Marrakai creek is now a lake, as is Beatrice, the banks are not there and you would have great difficulty (read nearly impossible) to follow the Marrakai, even short of the Rockbar Ridgeline. The water level is about 1 ft lower than the peak with TC Carlos. The water over the road on the Darwin side of the Adelaide Bridge is about 100m closer to the road than after TC Carlos.

The whole place is an inland sea again. The run off will be awesome when it comes, if :|

The second photo is looking from East to West back towards the Adelaide River Bridge, you can see the Window on The Wetlands Hill at the top of the picture.

Hope the photos are of some use for those planning on heading out that way.

Doors Off :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Arnhem Highway Adelaide River Flooding Photos 6 Apr 11

Post by GoodLookinPete »

I like to relate things to measures I know well, water... I'll go to the bucket.... That is a lot of buckets of water.....

I'm also insanely jealous of you getting to fly over it, but I'll keep that to myself for now.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Awesome photos. I bet that dude cleaned up on the fish! He deserved to.

I drove through that yesterday. Was a deep section in the middle somewhere. It was a tad lower than those photos though, hes one keen fisho.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Great photos DoorsOff,

This is pretty impressive to see this car alone in the middle of all this water...
:mrgreen:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Thanks for posting those DO!

amazing!

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
topendboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by topendboy »

i too come back from the south around 2pm.. the girl at bark hut said we couldnt get through, we did.. just
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

I pushed thru at around 0430 this morning. Saw one boat turn around but gave it a nudge anyways after reports of 700mm yesty. I can say we hit the last 200m of the flooded section at 800mm+. The Triton handled it okay....just without a snorkel either. Just trucked in 1st following my bow wave. made it to the other side with a hilux waiting on the other end. Don't know how he went.

It was closed this arv when we tried to get back with reports of 900mm. Yes we Pine Creeked it home.

Worth it tho. 40+ barra for the day and a heap of new stories to tell. Haven't laughed so hard in ages. Expect the Arhnem to be closed for a few days yet. Regards and tight lines.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Thanks for checking on me Doors off. Yes, I'm fine now that Casey's bar is dry again,even though it's only 250mm down in 2 1/2days, much slower than usual.

Cheers...Kai.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Great photos DO. Just goes to show the massive amounts of water out there.
You blokes playing in the water without a snorkel are playing with fire. It doesnt take much to be a very expensive exercise. Everyone of my mates who played in deep water had killed an engine at one point or another.
Then again, thats what insurance is for i suppose. But its an Inconvenience while the new donk is fitted
Rammers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rammers »

awesome shots, after this wet i think i need a snorkel and jack my hilux up........

is the runoff ever going to begin, ive been very patient, until this week!!!!
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

Nice Photo's Door's Off , the waiting continues...I am sitting on a mine-site 100k's inland from Tennant Creek in the Tanami. Found out yesterday the road has 2m of water over it so we are stuck...Worse thing is it's a dry site so NO BEER!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

I went through yesterday at 5.30pm, 800mm at its deepest. We were a bit worried when we saw a couple of 4WD with boats heading back but the talk at bark hut was 800mm so I knew I was right. The biggest worry was we went past the road closed signs and there would be cops at the other end handing out fines. There were a couple of 2wd cars that had tried to cross Tuseday arvo at 600mm that were dead on the side of the road. I don't know why you'd even think of it at that depth in a car.
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

Howard Springs Tavern Fishig Club are having there annual Goat Island Classic on this weekend
is going to be hard work, i think not just for the fishing but putting the boat in as well :banghead: :banghead:
Oh well at least i,m going fishing/boating has been awhile
If anything we will be able to keep Kai company :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
cheers :drinking1: :drinking2: :drinking3:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

800mm is getting a bit hairy. At least its not flowing water tho I guess.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

Hey Gibbo is the comp still going ahead???

Cheers

Damo
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark