Leaders boat accident

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Leaders boat accident

Post by dodgyone »

What a mess. Sooner registration and skippers tickets come in the better.
People refusing to help a boaty in need after hitting a reef.
Some clown with only an expired 121 epirb to set off gets found pretty much by chance.
Boat breaks down off Dundee in billfish comp and has to signal one of the Dundee charter boats by flare because nobody would answer their radio.
What other 'Darwin' awards deserve a mention from last weekend?

Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I used to be an advocate for licencing and rego. The main reason was that people had to know the rules at some stage in their lives.
But have a look at the number of people in cars who have a licence but that doesn’t stop them from doing the wrong thing.
I don’t know the circumstances of the leaders accident so I can’t comment but obviously something went wrong.
In Tassie, you nominate where your rego fees are spent which is a good thing. Imagine if 20 000 people that use shady nominated that their fees be spend on a ramp there.
Knowing the rules and following them are 2 different things
Its all about doing the right thing by your mate – not happening here. Its fish before people
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

I leave my radio scanning and there is very little "shite" or anything else that is disturbing.

I know for sure that if/when the unforeseen but inevitable breakdown happens (and I have a meticulously equipped and maintained vessel), I will be very grateful, as will my family, for those who help get me home safely. For that reason, I will help everyone, every time.

I wonder how many of the 'I take responsibility for myself and no one else' brigade will not seek or refuse help if/when the unforeseen occurs to them.
My Giddy Aunt!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

UncleD wrote:I leave my radio scanning and there is very little "shite" or anything else that is disturbing.

I know for sure that if/when the unforeseen but inevitable breakdown happens (and I have a meticulously equipped and maintained vessel), I will be very grateful, as will my family, for those who help get me home safely. For that reason, I will help everyone, every time.

I wonder how many of the 'I take responsibility for myself and no one else' brigade will not seek or refuse help if/when the unforeseen occurs to them.
spot on uncleD
they are usually the first to whinge that the police didnt come within 5 minutes when they call re a disturbance.
donegal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by donegal »

Absolutely shocking, the attitude of some folk. I have been working at sea for effin years now, been involved in several search and rescues, i cant believe that some people would actually ignore distress calls. To me its mind boggling, dont they think, whos gonna come help me when i screw up??
We were always taught, search and rescue takes absolute preference over everything, if your going to ignore a call for help, you have no place out on the water.
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

The standard you ignore is the standard you set.

As it has been said above, Its just the right thing to do, as you would expect it in return.
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Still coming to grips with people wouldnt help, unbloody Australian that is!!
For me its a no brainer, folks may have to wait til I finished fishing if broken down before I towed them back to ramp (unless sick or injured, dangerous conditions, etc) but they would know I was coming back for them and when

cheers Craig
matt1311
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by matt1311 »

I rescued a drugged up drunkin idiot swimming accross the harbour in his jocks he was struggling big time, i dont know where he swam from or why but i would and will always help out another boatie or person and would expect the same if i ever ended up in trouble. And dont worry i gave him a mouthfull
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Seems like it's getting worst. We lost a caliper bolt off the trailer on Gunn Point Road yesterday. Two cars drove straight past at high speed and didn't stop.

One old bloke stopped to see if we needed tools etc.

Back 10 year ago each abd every car would stop abd ask if we needed a hand.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

A few years ago i was preparing to launch at shady and the pretend 4wd i had got bogged right at the ramp. about 20 cars just backed in around me and some even abused the poop out of me for blocking the ramp.
A car load of queenslanders helped my out while the others just gave me the virtual bird and got on with their fishing. I was gobsmacked. :fubird:
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Saw an incident very similar to that Nomad. Was a couple years back. A bloke fell in the hole and got bogged in his Hilux. Three landcruisers, a pajero and another Hilux all drove around him. Poor bloke was trying to dig his way out at Shady up to his nuts in water.

We backed the old courier in and snatched him out. Unreal isn't.it
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

i watched 10-15 boats troll past some guys that were pushing there broken down boat across the flat at the mouth sampan Jan 2015. i went over to see if they were ok and they had a failed fuel primer bulb. It was pretty early in the day so i said i would tow them back a little later and they were pretty happy with that.

anyway, while i was trolling i was asking other boats if they had a spare primer bulb and it turns one guy did. he then trolled over to the broken down boys and got them going.(even seen them catch a few salmon)

another trip many years ago in my tinny (max speed 45kph) i had water/fuel issues at the mouth of sampan. the pro crabbers stopped on there way from Tommy cut and gave me a tow back to the barrage at 50kph. :surf: haha
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Pro-crabbers at Salt Water Arm actually towed myself, smarty and Deepblack back to.the ramp there when we had battery issues.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

And I tried to give him a $50.00 for his fuel/time and he wouldn't take it.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.