Leaders boat accident

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Leaders boat accident

Post by nomad »

slug wrote:Never had a radio in a boat I've owned and never will (other than am/fm jobby to listen to races & footy .... ) - why would u want to go fishing and listen to all that $hite !!!

And whoever it was that said when u go fishing be prepared to take responsibility for your own safety - now there's an idea ......
Good to hear that its not all about you ! :lolpoint: I hate everyone too

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I may stand corrected, as this is all 2 nd hand info that I have been told of others, but I have heard that you are not required to have a vhf less than 2 Nm ( or possibly it was 6nm) of shore. But if you have a vhf fitted to your boat and do not have a ticket/ done the course to use e vhf it is an offence.
Not that I have ever heard of anyone getting pinged for it, nor have I everseen the course ra anywhere.

In saying that I have one and if I'm coastal I turn it on ( have to currently get a new areal) and wouldn't think twice about helping someone out. It should go with out saying, but t oviously does not.

When I was moving up here my ute was not driving properly (turned out to be clogged fuel filter as I bl..dy left my fuel cap off) but I pulled up in the middle of no where and was looking under the bonnet. Still not knowing what was going on, I checked the oil which was a little low. A truck went past and he got on his uhf to the truck behind to tell him to start pulling up to see if we were all good. I was with another car so I wasn't too concerned and let them know that I would be fine. I asked which town was closest to drive to, tht was most likely to have oil. By this time the truck was just passing, next minuet he is pulling up and says I have some oil for you. I toped it up, and tried to give him a $50 for the oil. And there was no way he would accept anything, even to cover his cost. He said, "it's the bush, it's just what you do. It might be me, or my mother or anyother loved one you come accross one day, you can pay them back"
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

You are right Mick, don’t need one unless 2nm off shore and you must have a licence to use one but that is just a technicality
I cant ever see someone getting fined for using one to help out.
But, the course is simple and only takes a couple of hours. It just makes sure that you know the right way to use it. I asked one of the other fellas who had a radio to make a call and he was very hesitant to make the call. He said ‘what do I say? Ive never used it before’
I am amazed by the number of people who still didn’t have a radio in their boats and use the bullshit excuse ‘I don’t go offshore’
Its just the law of the jungle out there. Eat or be eaten.
I just hope those who say stuff you to everyone else never needs a hand. I don’t know of anyone who has never need help for anything in their lives.
Nothing will change the attitude up here so why bother. Just don’t get into a situation where you might need help because it wont happen
Seems its un-Territorian to do the right thing. We don’t want ‘none of that stuff they have down south’.
To those who dig your heels in anti everything, just think back to see if you can ever remember needing a hand with anything. Im sure you will find something.
Yes, im all for looking after yourself but…
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Do you know where they do these courses, pfgc was talking about getting one together, but ain't heard any more on it. I would be one of those who does not know the corect procedure. I googled and you tubed it a bit, but am far from compident.

I reckon that story from a few years ago was the best on tales from the tinny. A fella came across a tinny on the daily broken down, but didn't want it to stuff his days fishing, so he towed them around all day, and even put them onto fish, then towed them to the ramp at the end of the day. What a champ.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

‘what do I say? Ive never used it before’
It is very simple. If you are sinking and need urgent help ...

In waters down south ... "MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! (followed by location, number of people on vessel etc)"

In Territory waters ... "FREE BEER! FREE BEER! FREE BEER! (followed by location, number of people on vessel etc)"
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

mickkk wrote:Do you know where they do these courses, pfgc was talking about getting one together, but ain't heard any more on it. I would be one of those who does not know the corect procedure. I googled and you tubed it a bit, but am far from compident.
SMIT do a 2 day course, cost is $350... I did my ESS there about 5 years go. (which didn't include any radio)
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

SMIT do a good one. I think you can also do it online. http://www.marineradiolicence.com.au/ for $50 or the price of a carton

I’ve used a radio for 20 years before getting the licence 15 years ago.
Some fishing clubs say they will do things for the members but never do.
I remember one fishing club having the exact same attitude to people using radios on club outings. One senior member of the committee once said ‘you don’t need a radio’ - I left that club
One committee member also encouraged the new boat owner to remove the radio from his boat for the same reason.
Pretty hard to get any changes when these type of attitudes prevail

remember that knowledge is no burden to carry.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

Mickk,

the PGFC did actually run this course a few months ago over a couple of Wednesday nights. Paul was good enough to give up his time and run the course, and it only cost the participants the actually licencing fee ($80 I think). it was advertised in the newsletter and on FB several times and only 5 people bothered to take up the offer.

Nomad, sometimes members don't pay attention to the information they are provided with.....
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cool, I've been using Ch16 offshore. I'll keep it on that channel and have it on whenever the boat is on the water.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

tubbs wrote:Mickk,

the PGFC did actually run this course a few months ago over a couple of Wednesday nights. Paul was good enough to give up his time and run the course, and it only cost the participants the actually licencing fee ($80 I think). it was advertised in the newsletter and on FB several times and only 5 people bothered to take up the offer.

Nomad, sometimes members don't pay attention to the information they are provided with.....
very good. It only took 4 years to get it running. I withdraw my bagging of a club. :rofl:
it would be interesting to see how many people have the safety requirements on boats
saltpeter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltpeter »

RE Police not doing anything, please be aware that the call takers are usually civilians, secondly make sure the call is worded properly for instance: "some has hit a reef near leaders" wont get any action, "a boat has hit a reef at speed, the occupants are not in the boat which is drifting/ sunk/stuck on a reef, looks like they were flung out of the boat/ the emergency flares have been set off, we believe the fisherman are missing, there is a real concern for the safety of the fisherman etc" will probably get a better response. Police have to respond to lost people, people in immediate danger. its all about communicating the issue the right way.

Also the Volunteer Coast guard guys are pros, they have helped a friend of mine several times, even when he was 50 kms out to sea.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

nomad wrote:it would be interesting to see how many people have the safety requirements on boats
I'd have no problem passing a check from water police, no matter where I was.

there is no room for error when at sea. It's not as if you can climb out and walk home like you would in a car.

The risk of being ill-prepared is not worth it.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

saltpeter wrote: Also the Volunteer Coast guard guys are pros, they have helped a friend of mine several times, even when he was 50 kms out to sea.
Several times... :clap: think after a couple you might start rethinking things lol
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

nomad wrote:
tubbs wrote:Mickk,

very good. It only took 4 years to get it running. I withdraw my bagging of a club. :rofl:
it would be interesting to see how many people have the safety requirements on boats
I think it was run when I was away, I must hav blocked it out of my memory coz there always seems to be something getting in the way between me doing club events this year. I was keen as to do that, I'm shocked there was only 5 doing it.

Nomad, I'm not sure what's the history behind the negativity, but I would suggest things may have changed since you were last there. There has been a heap of awesome things happening lately. I just gotta be able to get to some of them.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

mickkk wrote:
Nomad, I'm not sure what's the history behind the negativity, .
I just hate everyone :lol:
I was sick of bringing up the same things time and time again - life is too short