West Alligator River Closure Line

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

West Alligator River Closure Line

Post by tristan.sloan »

Hi Guys,

Cuddlescooper contacted me today asking for the GPS Coordinates for the closure line at the mouth of the West Alligator River in Kakadu. For the benefit of everyone I thought I would post it up on the forum.

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: West Alligator River Closure Line

Post by scottmac »

Is there any talk of opening the river to rec fishers again?

What is the point of the closure?

What studies/surveys are done to compare the fish stocks to other fished rivers in the region?
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

G'day Scott,

AFANT has actively pushed to have this river reopened to recreational fishermen along with several other areas closed in Kakadu. Our submission to the Kakadu draft plan of management is here http://afant.com.au/kakadu-draft-management-plan/

I cant comment on what studies have been done on the river by Kakadu NP, I would really like to know because this is the park reasoning to closing this river to recreational fishermen " to provide a long term reference area that has not been subjected to recreational fishing activity".

AFANT would like to see this river open to recreational fishing.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Thanks for the marks Tristan, the map on the Kakadu web site is not very defined. More of a round abouts close thing.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I think it is a good thing to leave it closed. Or perhaps open it and close off the Wildman in its place.

As far as the data goes, I have heard a few rumour's that some scientists applied for a permit to catch some fish in the West Alligator system to test for a bacteria in there gills or some thing along those lines. They had tested fish in other systems and wanted to see the effects on a river that has had minimal human impact. Apparantly they were knocked back on the request of. If this is the case, the purpose of the closure defy's reason! But if some actual data is collected and the river is not just being used as a kakadu ranger private fishing ground then im all for it!. Be interesting to get some actual info from this.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

:twisted: Jeez those runoff creeks at the mouth look promising! :twisted:
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

I agree Cuddlescooper.....I'll do some digging around on this
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

As long as it remains closed for all I have no problem with that.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Its a very strange situation dannett, as far as I know from second hand information the local traditional owners and Kakadu Rangers fish it recreationally so isn't closed to fishing in my opinion just to the general public
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Just like all the tracks that they keep closed for longer and longer each year. We used to go into Pococks Beach in June, now it's lucky to be open in August.