Public access to be closed at Stingray Head, Finniss River

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Public access to be closed at Stingray Head, Finniss River

Post by tristan.sloan »

The owners of the Finniss River Station are closing the property to public access. This includes the removal of access for recreational fishermen to the mouth of the Finniss River at Stingray Head. This closure is due to poaching,firearms use, dogs and the destruction of property.

After a suitable period of time once Finniss River Station has erected fences and appropriate signage a permit system for recreational fishermen is proposed to be put in place. All permit holders will be required to be AFANT members and abide by the AFANT Code of Conduct.

A public meeting will be held at the Dundee Social and Recreation Club on the 15th of November at 10:30am- 11:30am to discuss the closure and permit system with the public.
Last edited by tristan.sloan on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Public access to be closed at Stingray Head, Finniss Rive

Post by Basstad »

Yeah well bound to happen.......last time I drove in there was rubbish left everywhere at the paperbark swamp area..........Once again a handful ruins it for everyone.
semper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by semper »

Disappointing - my favourite spot and i always thought pretty well looked after by users - but i guess i never stray from the beach and poaching, firearms use and destruction of property probably occurs further inland. hopefully the permit system can be put in place quickly
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

tristan.sloan wrote:All permit holders will be required to be AFANT members and abide by the AFANT Code of Conduct.

How did this part come about? Has AFANT seen this as an opportunity to increase their member numbers? I would like to think that this won't set a precedent for any future potential recreational fisherman lockouts.

On a side note, can't the mouth still be accessed by driving along the beach? I've not ever been so I wouldn't know but looking at aerial photos it seem possible.

EDIT: I should state that I support any closure if access is being abused.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Jer wrote:
tristan.sloan wrote:All permit holders will be required to be AFANT members and abide by the AFANT Code of Conduct.

How did this part come about? Has AFANT seen this as an opportunity to increase their member numbers? I would like to think that this won't set a precedent for any future potential recreational fisherman lockouts.

On a side note, can't the mouth still be accessed by driving along the beach? I've not ever been so I wouldn't know but looking at aerial photos it seem possible.

I would rather afant over see the permits and still allow access to the right people, than to have no access at all. The reason this has most likely come about as the land owner seems pretty decant and does not want a blanket ban. But wants to keep the Riff raffle out, it would be put in the to hard basket if it was up to the land owner to over see. Afant is prepaired to do this, and if there's any problems afant will be the first point of call for the land owner, telling them to sort it.
I can not work out why you are so disappointed with this out come. If it were not for afant, you would have not heard anything, and on your next trip you would have found a gate and a big fat padlock.
There is a simmiler set up with 4wdnt (the afant of the 4wd community) and parks. Allowing us access to areas that we would not have had access to if it were not for them.

I do have a question Tristan, if you are a member for a fishing club (PGFC) are you automatically a member of afant as apart of your club membership?
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Is this legal What sort of lease do they have?? If it is a pastral lease get a mining permit. If it's freehold good luck to them.
tight lines
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

"On a side note, can't the mouth still be accessed by driving along the beach? I've not ever been so I wouldn't know but looking at aerial photos it seem possible."

The station owns down to the high water mark, theoretically you could drive down below that on not be trespassing but practically you'd still have to cut through station land just to get to the beach.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Hi Mickkk, Yes PGFC members are affiliated members of AFANT and hence can access the station under the permit system.

You hit the nail on the head there, AFANT has a history of managing permit systems in the past and being AFANT members means the onus is on us to control access and regulate the process, its also means in the interest of preserving access AFANT members will be the eyes and ears of the station owner while on the property.

I talk quite a bit with John McClement from 4WDNT Mick and I agree with you I think he does an excellent job in ensuring access for his members that otherwise would not be available to the general public
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Hey Tristan speaking of permits to closed areas via AFANT, is there still talk of some areas in Kakadu being opened up under a similar system? Certain billabongs etc?
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

join AFANT or have no access to the Finniss via Finniss river station??..... seems like a no brainer to me???
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Yes Maxpower, the Kakadu tourism committee has agreed to support the proposal to reopen access to five closed billabongs, the recommendation is before the Kakadu board of management including the traditional owners, we expect an answer when they reconvene for their next quarterly meeting....unfortunately it's not until March next year
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

The wheels turn pretty slowly with KAKADU, but at least they are starting to turn
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:mrgreen:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Couple of old FFF posts that may be of interest.

Access was only considered temporary back in 2010 ... http://www.fishingterritory.com/crime-f ... 22738.html

And some info on getting in ... http://www.fishingterritory.com/barra-e ... 24354.html

Permit system sounds like a winner, but the worst of the riffraff will just drive over the fence or cut the chain on a gate, that was how the Finniss access was "opened" in the first place.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Well I might have to become a afant member after all....

Cheers for the heads up Tristan
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne