Proposed new NT fishing regulations

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Proposed new NT fishing regulations

Post by nomad »

Hi AM. I type replies using MS word and it auto corrects as you go. then cut/paste in the reply. Heaps faster.
Charter boys also have bad days. I've been on a couple of charters in the past 12 mths and both times only 1 jew and 1 goldie were caught with 10 on board.

BarraBase
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBase »

am interesting tree you are shaking .we fill out target fish B for barra
G for game fish
R for reef fish
and so on , then houres fished by each person ,? do you all fish the same amount of time or is the guide got a note book jotting line hours .
Then we fill out the state or country each fisherman is from. ? So did they ask you if you were from the NT.
then fish caught and released
it's a pain in the bum to do with 3 punters , I think you are on to something re line hours and fish caught.
Views expressed on this website are those of individuals and do not reflect the opinions of the website owner, or its operators, or other website users
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

jsut a question what are the large nets that are being drifted out of blaze/bowra targeting the ones with the light at one and and attached to the boat on the other are they targeting reef fish would have to be when netting of a night??? are there captures recorded and bi catch recorded i find it hard to beleive that these stats are anywhere near close to the actual fish taken just my opinion only no facts at all to back it up
when broken down into percentages the catch of each amatuer isnt alot at all like was stated but i guess its the over all amount that matters
in the final tally
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I knew you wouldnt let me down Doug.
I am interested to see the amount of fishers in the target survey and where and when they took it verses what you have to do to be classed as a fisherperson and so be in the count to determine the multiplier for the survey results as it is very true that a very few that catch most of the fish the multiplier could then be the bad apple. It is supposed to be 10%catch 90% of fish, a lie or just anther dam statistic.
ndf
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ndf »

AM. mate you obviously have no idea what goes on apart from on the deck when you are on charter. the extended guys lodge the location, species, length and amount. maybe you should worry about whether or not you stil have bait on your hook, not bagging out something you have no frigging idea about.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Well NDF I've been on a couple of extended trips Moyne / Flat Top, aswell as a fair few day jobbies (with well known charter mobs) and have never seen any sign of any records of the days catch recorded on any trip.
I would say most punters would say the same, and if it was done at the end of the day or trip it would only be an approx count or a best guess wouldn't it ???????
Not much of a base to build from.
:cheers: :cheers:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I used to think there was always one cock head in a group and then NDF comes along and proves there are two.
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

I've been on a couple of charters here and there and I've never seen a deckie with a pencil/pen tape measure etc in his hand :bs:
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
ndf
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ndf »

work the deck for a long time with 4 different mobs and i can tell you that catch rate was recorded. ater evey drop skipper will generally
write down what was caught. for personal info and also for the returns. usually at the end of the week go through the diary, fill out paper work. of course noone is going to see crew writing this poop down. you should be fishing instead of snooping in the wheel house.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Looks like we will all have to pay more attention if we go on any more charters guys. Sounds like charter work would be a good work if not for the customers snooping around paying the bills. It would make for a nice welcome on board "and remember no snooping around" . Anyway it sounds like the are set to titen up the record keeping requirement and penalties as well as the limits. Im sure somebody will come on and say they have witnessed the religious completion of thë book at each drop.

Out of interest Ernie on the extended charters how did they go about monitoring how close they were to the existing reef bag limits. is this somthing you think they can deal with when the 5 of this 3 of that with a max of ten or twenty made up of not more than ten % of any one speices comes in.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

AM said

Out of interest Ernie on the extended charters how did they go about monitoring how close they were to the existing reef bag limits. is this somthing you think they can deal with when the 5 of this 3 of that with a max of ten or twenty made up of not more than ten % of any one speices comes in.

Havent had any problems on any chaters I've been on :mrgreen: got good fish but never alot of em and with a fair species mix, couldn't see it happening often if at all, 10-12 punters x 30 mixed fish is a hell of alot of fish.
You'd hope the crew would move on a target something else if they cleaned up on a particular species, most state that they have their own limits in place for the punters eg: 1 jew each but as for reefies and others I don't know, but ndf will probably let us know.
It's in their own best interest to protect their lively hood, but paying customers and human nature being what it is :? :?
If they do have self imposed bag limits on the charters would it be legal, if someone had a golden day and they were that way inclined, could they stop him/her from keeping their possesion limit anyway????
There is no magic fix for this, we all take from the same resource, renewable as it is to a point, but do we want to let it get that far before we do anything :? :? :?
Said it before I know, but I'd rather catch less now and for the next 20 years, than more now and nothing in the future.
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
freon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freon »

I have been on a few charters and didnt take any notice of anyone recording anything
until the last charter I actually knew the skipper and was talking to him in the wheel house
He was definatley logging everything caught even the time and tide I caught two nice coral trout
I was even asked which bait I had used we then moved to another spot so we didnt over fish one area
It would appear some stats logged would be for there own benefit and the rest a legal requirement
cheers
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Thanks for the info freon, like everything no doubt good and bad represented in every group, and hey I mightnt be observant as I thought.

There is no magic fix for this, we all take from the same resource, renewable as it is to a point, but do we want to let it get that far before we do anything :? :? :?
Said it before I know, but I'd rather catch less now and for the next 20 years, than more now and nothing in the future.

I am on the same page here Ernie just got to make sure all groups do their bit.

Hi AM. I type replies using MS word and it auto corrects as you go. then cut/paste in the reply. Heaps faster.
Charter boys also have bad days. I've been on a couple of charters in the past 12 mths and both times only 1 jew and 1 goldie were caught with 10 on board.

Thanks for the heads up nomad I will give it a go if another long one comes up.