Dinah Beach Boat Ramp Jetty

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
cliffo32
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Dinah Beach Boat Ramp Jetty

Post by cliffo32 »

Tristan, I am all for any upgrade to Dinah; e-mail sent. I’m sure you have heard it before, but if the tenders can't be controlled now, why would they co-operate once the upgrade gets implemented? For the sake of four selfish tender owners, the rest of us need to live with the frustration it creates. Since the mighty dollar rules almost every decision; specially a political one, surely it's much more cost effective to enforce the 'no mooring' policy before the upgrade occurs. I fear that once an extra pontoon is put in place, they will happily tie up on the outside of the ‘L’ and the frustration will continue.

tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Unfortunately Cliff despite no mooring allowed on the jetty the Water Police have no powers under legislation to penalise tender owners and neither does the department of transport....ridiculous right?.....so the only option is to increase the size of the jetty to factor in the space taken up by moored tenders....despite it technically being illegal
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Tristan,, How can it be illegal if NO ONE can enforce it of issue penalties .

Might as well chuck out the rule book ,,,, Very confused :?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

tristan.sloan wrote:Unfortunately Cliff despite no mooring allowed on the jetty the Water Police have no powers under legislation to penalise tender owners and neither does the department of transport....ridiculous right?.....so the only option is to increase the size of the jetty to factor in the space taken up by moored tenders....despite it technically being illegal

Didn't the new legislation change that allowed the water police to issue on the spot fines instead of summonsing people for court change this situation and allow for fines to be issued for this rule??? Or hasn't there been a local legislation passed for the law?
cliffo32
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cliffo32 »

I guess that's why I didn't become a lawyer. The practice is illegal, but it can't be enforced; hopefully that concept doesn't take off.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Can anyone inforced the law against just untieing them and setting them free. If not problem solved.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I know the tenders are a problem but hey guys, what other option do the tenders have?

They could drag them up on to the ramp.
They could moor them a short distance out and swim in.
They could retrieve and leave it in the car park taking prime spots.
Do we expect them to tow the tender around all day while int he city? Where would they park?

Extending the potoon ("L" shaped) as suggested would create a place where a dedicated tender mooring area could be established. Thus would suit the tenders and the fishos and would be far more enforceable.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

They could also just pay a small fee and tie them up at the yacht club where they are meant to be. They only tie up there because it is free.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

c9h14n wrote:They could also just pay a small fee and tie them up at the yacht club where they are meant to be. They only tie up there because it is free.

You could pay to use the Trailer Boat club ramp where there are no tenders tied up.

It is a public ramp and pontoon, you can't have one group of users paying and another not unless you are providing some additional service to those paid users.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

The aditional service is you can tie up your tender all day legally. It's a boat ramp not a marina
Biff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Biff »

Darwin could learn from the townsville council!!!! check out the ross river boat ramps !!! poop tins of them in a large boatramp/carpark setup,top shelf set up.
Cheers
cliffo32
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cliffo32 »

Dannet, if it was illegal for me to launch from Dinah, I would more than likely agree with you, but it’s not. I didn't make the choice to buy a boat that requires mooring, I bought a trailer boat. Maybe the tender owners need to pay their fee to the marina, in the same way I need to pay my trailer registration.

Regardless of any possible improvement at Dinah, the tender owners actions are illegal, so they should be held to account and if need be have their time in front of a Judge to plead their case.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

All for upgrading the ramp- slightly longer toe, 10m more pontoon and a good dredge around the bottom to the channel. Email sent.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

cliffo32 wrote:Dannet, if it was illegal for me to launch from Dinah, I would more than likely agree with you, but it’s not. I didn't make the choice to buy a boat that requires mooring, I bought a trailer boat. Maybe the tender owners need to pay their fee to the marina, in the same way I need to pay my trailer registration.

Regardless of any possible improvement at Dinah, the tender owners actions are illegal, so they should be held to account and if need be have their time in front of a Judge to plead their case.

I may be mistaken but I thought there was a fee associated with mooring in Sadgroves creek?

Dinah is a public ramp and pontoon which means that it is not illegal for the tenders to use it either. My point is without another free option (fair play about the yacht club if you're willing to pay) they are going to use the only facility available. Hence making a place where we can coexist with each other is a better option than demanding exclusive use as some would have it.

I reckon half the reason that it is not enforceable is that there currently is not a reasonable alternative available to them.

Dan
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Sorry I missed these responses guys.....unfortunately from talking to both the department of transport and water police the signage is basically a massive bluff, while it is technically illegal neither department has the power to enforce it under their operating procedures or legislation and due to no boat registration in the NT they cant even identify the owners to warn them.....bit of a joke really but hopefully we can alleviate the problem with an expansion of the Jetty