Something in my Troopy tanks its a nightmare..

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Something in my Troopy tanks its a nightmare..

Post by cjgp »

Hello troops.

Here is one for you...

I have a 2000 troop carrier, a bit sh..ty but goes alright.

For a few years I used homemade bio, no real issues all was good.

Then about 15 months ago I started having this growth in my tanks

It was sort of like a brown algy growth in the fuel tanks. It was pretty heavy duty, so I took the tank off (fark what a job when you have no tools. Divorce)

SO I cleaned out the tanks and all was good, no issues and nice clean fuel.

I also stopped using bio as I had no where to make it anymore, so I was running on dino diesel. Now I find I have this fine brown dust in my fuel filter. It is blocking a 2 micron filter about every 5000km I haven't dropped the tanks again as I haven't had time, what between been homeless and working away its a bit hard...

Although the dust is rust colored, the insides of my tanks are shiny gal finished. The dust is really fine and a mid rusty brown, very fine. It sits in the bottom of the fuel separator where it falls from suspension.

Any ides what may be causing this chaos and how to sort it out? I was going to line the tanks but it has been suggested this may have limited effectiveness for me... I have to get it sorted as I cannot afford a new injector pump.

Anyone got any ideas?? PLEASE .

Easy option may be to just buy new tanks.. but on my budget...

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Something in my Troopy tanks its a nightmare..

Post by nomad »

could it be as simple as dust getting thru the cap and into the tank?
Some fuel up here can be really suss
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by chanos »

As you have had "cladisporium" in your tank previously, highly likely it is the remainder of it coming out of the system. Put a treatment through it, "cladicide"is one brand, and see what happens. Also ensure there is not one drop of water in the system as it grows at the water/fuel interface. Very hard to get rid of once you have it.

cheers mate.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Go and see Guy Walters at Diesel Injection Service Pty Ltd in Hook Rd Winnellie and get a secondary fuel filter added to your fuel system. Better to have to replace a fuel filter than your engine :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Thanks Chanos I will chase that stuff up.. How you going all good? Long time no hear, no Terry this year due to my marriage issues.

STOKESY yeah I run twin after market filters on her,, you are right safe is the way
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

chanos wrote:As you have had "cladisporium" in your tank previously, highly likely it is the remainder of it coming out of the system. Put a treatment through it, "cladicide"is one brand, and see what happens. Also ensure there is not one drop of water in the system as it grows at the water/fuel interface. Very hard to get rid of once you have it.

cheers mate.
I would be going with this first and you have mentioned running twin filters there so you're covered there. Get some more clad killer in there and see how you go.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
thing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thing »

Hey Jedi, have just finished reading about your predicament and was wondering if you could send me your phone No and i will endeavour to give you some advise about your current situation. I use to own a Diesel Fuel Injection repair shop and i am familiar with this problem
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Thinking outside the square, the bio may have caused a chemical reaction to the inside of your rubber fuel hoses. Might be worth your while to maybe pull a hose off, bend it around on itself and have a look inside the hose, see if anything breaks off. A deteriorated rubber might be the issue. Another thing to check is to smear the substance on paper towell, get a magnet and move it around see if the particles move. This will tell you if you have rust somewher in the system.