Bt-50 or Ranger???

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bt-50 or Ranger???

Post by cunno »

Bottom Bashing Bloke wrote:
seano wrote:Hiluxes dont even come close to these beasty trucks- 147kw and 470nm of torque -standard with a rear diff lock and 800mm wading depth. 3500tonne towing capacity! s...ts all over a hilux.

147kw out of a 4cylinder turbo - BT-50
151kw out of a 8cylinder turbo - LC70/79

I dunno about you but im thinking engine longevity might be an issue running so much power out of such a small engine........just a thought
Pretty sure the bt50's a 5 cylinder turbo, not 4. 147 kw is good power, but its not exactly stratospheric to the extent that the engine would be overly stressed. Time will tell, but they seem pretty strong and sorted being used in the ford transit.

sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

Yep - 5 Cylinder

And yes Trier - you can send it direct to me :mrgreen:
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
Deigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Deigs »

it really makes me laugh about this website when someone asks about these 2 cars and his thread ends up being lost to people who are telling him everything else other than what his original thread was about not naming any names it seems to be only a couple of people on this forum who have an opinion about everything and it seems to be there way or no way and that no one else has any idea what they are talking about.

I have a 2008 bt50 been a good car a bit thirsty but then new one seems to be quite good in all aspects just the price tag turns me off after only paying 42 with just about everything on it for my 2008 model
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

The engines we're talking about are only the capacity of a 3 litre plastic milk bottle. Some smaller.
Regards
Ronje
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bottom Bashing Bloke »

cunno wrote:
Bottom Bashing Bloke wrote:
seano wrote:Hiluxes dont even come close to these beasty trucks- 147kw and 470nm of torque -standard with a rear diff lock and 800mm wading depth. 3500tonne towing capacity! s...ts all over a hilux.

147kw out of a 4cylinder turbo - BT-50
151kw out of a 8cylinder turbo - LC70/79

I dunno about you but im thinking engine longevity might be an issue running so much power out of such a small engine........just a thought
Pretty sure the bt50's a 5 cylinder turbo, not 4. 147 kw is good power, but its not exactly stratospheric to the extent that the engine would be overly stressed. Time will tell, but they seem pretty strong and sorted being used in the ford transit.
Yeh but the odd number of cylinders gives it the high torque output. But a 4x4 will be driven differently to a ford transit van. Personally I prefer a bigger engine with same power for engine longevity.

IRT the original question I would go with the most simplest engine as it will be easier and cheaper to fix and maintain in the long run. Yes it might be 1L/100km more thursty but thats ok if u only have a $200 repair bill compared to $1000+ every time
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

ronje wrote:The engines we're talking about are only the capacity of a 3 litre plastic milk bottle. Some smaller.
Yeah it used to amaze me that a 125cc race bike engige has only 1/3 the capacity of a can of beer.
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

Toyota
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Wrighty wrote:Toyota
groan...... :banghead:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

You gotta wonder when people think about buying a car and day that's what warranties for tho ??
Things have definatly changed it used to be buy a vehicle on the longevity of the vehicle value for money nowadays it's which car offers you the best warranty !
Nomad so after all the forum searches you done there was no mention of engine trouble but the dealer said there was a factory fault ??
Maybe you were on a forum sponsored by them and post were removed :) :)
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thats it doug. The dealer service person told me that there was a minor fault (missing bolt or something like that) which caused the engine to fail.
Siezed up i think. I found zip on any of the 3 forums of bt50 owners about it.
Exploreoz, Mazda owners forum and i cant remember the other one.
Only recall i found was the rear seatbelt mechanism

I test drove all of the utes in the class over 2 days and it was a clear winner (for me).
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

seano wrote:
Wrighty wrote:Toyota
groan...... :banghead:
Some people just hate following the crowd, regardless of whether the crowd is heading the right way!
Wrighty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Wrighty »

haha thought that'd get another bite from a few....
If only fishing was that easy!
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

ken_dog wrote:...............regardless of whether the crowd is heading the right way!
you mean, like lemmings??
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

let's all tow our Quinnies down to the river with our hilux s and start up our yammies and troll guns and roses classics.
like sheep-baaaaaaa.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

I bet you listen to JJJ seano.